2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

parasitic draw and P01765 and P0753 codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 06:26 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
I stopped commenting after this post!
Same here. So close, and yet so far. We've got everything but the connection between the brains and the fingers, so we might as well think about puffy white clouds as about fixing some guy's truck. I'm not faulting the guy with the broken truck for being unable to discern which troubleshooting approach is valid and which is just pointless frobbing of the thing, not at all. If he could know that he wouldn't need to ask for help in the first place. It's just the nature of the situation.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:44 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't you just want to go there and help though? Because you know you probably find the problem in under 30 minutes.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:57 PM
bunker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

13.83V (center pin 87a 0 V) left 86 0.09 V there is 2 slots under pie center slot pin 87 pin 0 V bottom pin pin 30 13.98. xin to find the amp drain now

(HeyYou) Not sure but I think the only thing he's jumpering is 30-87 on Trans Relay. Negative ghost rider.look at my chart

On the diagram, pin 85 is on the left, and pin 86 is on the right.
NO, THE ASD RELAY IS NOT THE TRANSMISSION RELAY

roger that I got the pins correct.

testing coil power wire at 2 wire plug
1.Key off. With jumper in 5.71 volts at the green coil wire. 0 volts on neg wire
2.key off relay IN 0 volts with relay in on green coil wire.
3. key on Jumper in 2.84 Volts on green coil wire 0 on black wire.
4. key on and relay in getting 2.84 volts on green coil wire 0 on black ground wire

jumping 85 to 86
1.key off 85/86 jumper in 4.40v 85 left slot 86 right slot
2.key off 85/86 jumper out 0 volts left slot 86 right slot
3.key on 85/86 jumper in 2.84 Volts left slot 86 right slot
4 key on 85/86 jumper out 0.10 volts left slot 86 right slot

1: Tests should be done with ASD Relay plugged in. my test was done with relay in and then out, in my case out means 80 and 86 jumped

2: Coil wire color is DARK GREEN/ORANGE, should be 0 volts with key off. Gets its feed from the ASD relay Pin 87. Should be 12 Volts for 2 seconds when key is turned on, when cranking, or running. never saw 12 volts only 5.71 jumper in and 2.84 with relay in.

Jumpering Transmission Relay should absolutely not affect this circuit.

Are you jumping 30 to 87 and measuring 85 to 86 on the Transmission Relay? negatory 85 to 86

thanks for the help, any idea what color wires go to the bottom of the PCM relay for the tranny?

I'm kinda puzzled by the control wiring for the Transmission Relay. On my diagram it gets its power through or from the field winding of the alternator, which is connected to C2-10 and C3-25 of the PCM So it's in series with the winding, and receives no power unless the engine is running. Or I could be wrong, it could be osmosis and fairy dust![/QUOTE]

Old 05-04-2016, 08:06 PM
bunker
Professional
Default s th or without

I think it was established that the drain is from you jumping out the relays. Still not sure what you jumped out the power side of the relay or the relay terminals. Either way you need to stop jumping them!!! Determine if they are working the way they should and go from there.
The drain is there with the jumper or relay in or out.. don't matter. and the relay. the jumper has nothing to do with the drain. because with the relay in it still drains the battery. cant remember what pins it is im jumping but its in the video I made. its the 2 center ones 30 and the one under it. NOT 85/86 left right ones. the problems is either under the pcm or between the pcm and wherever the wires go. there is the problem. it isn't the relay or the jumper. its whatever is before the relay, that's what I don't know

Last edited by bunker; 05-04-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:11 PM
bunker
Professional

I know everybody is trying to help, and it sucks when you cant lay hands on it. but a few understand from my description and video. The drain is NOT due to the jumper. the drain is there even when the jumper or relay is out... all the jumper does is make it so the ck eng light doesn't come on and stay on as soon as you start the truck. with jumper in the light doesn't come on at all until you stop the eng and restart it after its warmed up. I drove it 500 miles the other day and the eng light never came on until I stopped turned off the eng the restarted it 20 mins later. (and didn't dis the battery)

forget the jumper and the relay for a minute, think when transmission fuse is pulled the battery drain goes away..........and tranny and all sensors check out fine and are new.whats between the tranny and PCM that's where the problem is......

Last edited by bunker; 05-04-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:28 PM
bunker
Professional
Default u got it

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Same here. So close, and yet so far. We've got everything but the connection between the brains and the fingers, so we might as well think about puffy white clouds as about fixing some guy's truck. I'm not faulting the guy with the broken truck for being unable to discern which troubleshooting approach is valid and which is just pointless frobbing of the thing, not at all. If he could know that he wouldn't need to ask for help in the first place. It's just the nature of the situation.
hey thanks for any ideas, and I think your getting what im saying, the jumper aint got nothing to do with the battery drain period. because its there with or without the jumper or relay. the only way the drain is gone os to pull the fuse.

have you had a chance to look at the wiring diagram so see where the wires go from that fuse? damn I cant even think of the fuse now but its in the post somewhere or my video.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:29 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbd1
Don't you just want to go there and help though? Because you know you probably find the problem in under 30 minutes.
That's actually the root of my motivation for avoiding electrical problem threads! My fixer nature goes temporarily insane with the frustration of it. The one thing I've probably said most in my lifetime: broken 5h17 just flat out pisses me off.

That's what I loved about being a field engineer. Every day something somewhere in the world was broken and someone was eager to pay me to go fix it even if it required re-engineering the thing -- which is actually pretty common, because mindless copy and paste is as prevalent in electronic circuit design as it is in software. It's pretty much a very useful mental illness that I've got, but it goes undiagnosed because no one really wants it cured.

Unfortunately, it also means that I often have to just walk away from fusterclucks in order to prevent the frustration of powerlessness from making me an even bigger jerk than I already am.

Well, having thought on it for a couple of minutes after posting, let's alter that to finish "... a bigger jerk than I wish to believe myself to be".

Last edited by UnregisteredUser; 05-04-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:31 PM
bunker
Professional

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck
QUOTE:
looking at the relay socket from the drivers fender pin 85 (right) side 13.83V (center pin 87a 0 V) left 86 0.09 V there is 2 slots under pie center slot pin 87 pin 0 V bottom pin pin 30 13.98. xin to find the amp drain now

(HeyYou) Not sure but I think the only thing he's jumpering is 30-87 on Trans Relay.

On the diagram, pin 85 is on the left, and pin 86 is on the right.
NO, THE ASD RELAY IS NOT THE TRANSMISSION RELAY

1: Tests should be done with ASD Relay plugged in.
2: Coil wire color is DARK GREEN/ORANGE, should be 0 volts with key off. Gets its feed from the ASD relay Pin 87. Should be 12 Volts for 2 seconds when key is turned on, when cranking, or running.
Jumpering Transmission Relay should absolutely not affect this circuit.

Are you jumping 30 to 87 and measuring 85 to 86 on the Transmission Relay?

I'm kinda puzzled by the control wiring for the Transmission Relay. On my diagram it gets its power through or from the field winding of the alternator, which is connected to C2-10 and C3-25 of the PCM So it's in series with the winding, and receives no power unless the engine is running. Or I could be wrong, it could be osmosis and fairy dust!

forget the jumper and the relay for a minute, think when transmission fuse is pulled the battery drain goes away..........and tranny and all sensors check out fine and are new.whats between the tranny and PCM that's where the problem is......

Last edited by bunker; 05-04-2016 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:34 PM
bunker
Professional
Default check out the video.

I think it was established that the drain is from you jumping out the relays. Still not sure what you jumped out the power side of the relay or the relay terminals. Either way you need to stop jumping them!!! Determine if they are working the way they should and go from there.

thanks for any ideas im checking all I get.

Last edited by bunker; 05-04-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:13 PM
bunker
Professional

I don't think the problem is at the PCM at all. ive looked under it and all is clean and no bad wires as far as I can see. but where does the wires go after the tranny fuse? that's where I think it is.

Quick Reply: parasitic draw and P01765 and P0753 codes