2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fried fuel pump wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 02:18 PM
furiousgeorge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fried fuel pump wiring

The fuel gauge on my '96 1500 has been pegged on full since I got it about a year ago, even with the key off. I finally had the time to look into it, and it turns out there's a black (I think) wire in the harness that plugs into the pump harness, coming from just under the firewall, that is melted the entire length of the harness. it's been that way a while as the exposed wire is corroded to nearly dust. I've searched but I can only find the short harness from the pump to this one? Does anyone know where I could get a replacement? I'll try the dealership on Monday, but they tend to be less then helpful. Also, any ideas as to why the wire would have fried up like that?
Thanks!

Old 04-17-2016, 02:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Why not just replace that wire? Gotta be cheaper than buying the whole harness.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:32 PM
furiousgeorge
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Why not just replace that wire? Gotta be cheaper than buying the whole harness.
I might go that way, but it's junk right into the connector under the firewall, and I don't know how or if that can come apart to replace one wire.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Need the cool little tool to remove the wire connector from the plug. I think most parts stores sell 'kits', for just such an occasion.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:02 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

or junkyard....

Old 04-17-2016, 04:32 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Need the cool little tool to remove the wire connector from the plug. I think most parts stores sell 'kits', for just such an occasion.

"Pinning" (or de-pinning) tool.

Junkyard my be a better bet, although we could find out where those wires go and you could make your own.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:18 PM
furiousgeorge
Professional

I've always been uneasy getting wiring/electrical component from a wrecker. With something this week old, who knows how long it's been sitting there or if it's any good at all? I'll try to track down the depinning kit and fix the wiring myself. The toughest part will be dropping the tank to get it off the pump end. Good times ahead.....

Old 04-17-2016, 06:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Isn't there enough room to reach in, and unhook it? I can actually see the connector on my truck.....

Old 04-17-2016, 09:22 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Just had a flash back to 2003. I had a 95 chevy 1500, was starting to exhibit a weak battery. One day I went to start it and I saw a puff of smoke from the front of the car. I looked into it and found the horn relay wire completely bare - straight copper. The cables on that truck looked new, but when I grabbed the negative battery cable - I could feel the crinkling of oxidized copper. The starter had found ground through that relay ground. Probably should find out why it passed all that current, else you might just put a new wire on and have the insulation burn right off again.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:42 AM
furiousgeorge
Professional

i can get my hand up in there easily enough, but I can't get my head in enough to see. There's a bunch of bracketing for the running boards on one side and the driveshaft/exhaust/shielding on the other. I'm hoping that the wire rubbed through into another wire on the harness, it melted all the wires around to it as well (though I couldn't see any that were burned through to the wire). The tank should be around half or so, so it shouldn't be a huge deal to drop it, and it's still driving so I could burn off more fuel. It's odd that something like that happening didn't pop a fuse somewhere?

Quick Reply: Fried fuel pump wiring