2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fried fuel pump wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 11:21 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Probably should find out why it passed all that current, else you might just put a new wire on and have the insulation burn right off again.
X2! If you have a wiring diagram find what wire it is and what it does. The gauge and low fuel light get a (ground) signal that's how it knows what the level is. Your problem may not be in the tank but a short somewhere else.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Makes ya wonder, don't it?

May want to verify the fuse for the pump is the correct size.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:43 PM
furiousgeorge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fuse appears fine, the crappy Chiltons book I have shows only the fuel gauge and low fuel warning light run off that wire. I haven't had time to drop the tank and get the whole thing out yet, that'll be on my next weekend off.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:44 AM
furiousgeorge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got time to finish this off! Turns out that the wiring rubbed through the loom and two wires in behind the gas tank, fusing all the wires in the harness together from the front all the way back nearly to where the rear ABS sensor wires split off! I ended up getting a whole harness from a wrecker and replaced it today. Though they cut it just after the ABS split, so I got to spend more time cramped under the truck wiring in tail lights. The old harness was a bit different, it had factory trailer light wiring and the new one didn't, but I don't tow anything so I'm not worried about it. I tried to get the tank as empty as possible, turns out it was right on empty! I dumped in gas a bit at a time and the gauge seems to work properly now. Now onto other issues...

Quick Reply: Fried fuel pump wiring