2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmissions, coolers, and gauges

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 07:42 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
So what you're saying here is ...... raise hell and praise dale?
Wait, wait! Dale is in my truck now?

Old 06-13-2016, 07:54 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker

Seriously though, thank you for all of the help.

However, I am sure that there are very few here actually in favor of adding a manual lock up switch. It does seem like a chore remembering to switch it on and off.

In post #47, I was referring to the TCC locking solenoid being engaged. How else would it lock up?

Last edited by dbbd1; 06-13-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Beyond converter stall speed is considered "locked" after a fashion. In the most basic terms, "locked" implies TCC engaged. Installing a switch really won't help you overmuch..... but, it COULD hurt you. (if you forget about it too often.)

Old 06-13-2016, 08:57 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Installing a switch really won't help you overmuch..... but, it COULD hurt you. (if you forget about it too often.)
I thought so. That's why I couldn't figure why someone would want one. (Someone with control issues, perhaps?)

Old 06-13-2016, 09:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbd1
I thought so. That's why I couldn't figure why someone would want one. (Someone with control issues, perhaps?)
I suppose it might be handy for rock crawling? Maybe??

Old 06-13-2016, 09:21 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
So what you're saying here is ...... raise hell and praise dale?
I'd never heard that expression before...

It's not really raising hell at all, not even a little bit. If our engines and transmissions ran completely silently all the time, everyone would naturally run them at engine speeds closer to the torque peak whenever they asked them to work hard because that's where they'd work the best. Nobody holding a steering wheel would spend much time thinking about things like torque converters and rod bearings because everybody would be treating them well all the time.

Just match the RPM to the work, that's all. If you're not spooling it up when you're asking it to work hard, you're abusing it. It really is just as simple as that. If it's too loud, ditch the kiddie muffler and invest in Dynamat.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:27 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbd1
In post #47, I was referring to the TCC locking solenoid being engaged. How else would it lock up?
In torque converter jargon, lockup is achieved with the state of most efficient coupling -- when the engine speed and the transmission (input shaft) speed are as close to equal as they're ever going to get. The terminology predates the modern torque converter clutch, which came along in the late 1970's and has been confusing these kinds of discussions ever since. You can't really talk about torque converter performance without referring to the phenomenon, though, so I always refer to "locked mode of operation" and "converter clutch engagement" to avoid confusion.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:44 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker

Gotcha, thanks again.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:47 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker

I think my OCD got the better of me. In an ongoing effort to reduce tranny temps, I put header wrap on the exhausts, from the collectors to the cat. I may even put a second layer on the pipe that crosses in front of the tranny pan. Some of you may disagree with this (mainly because of rusting/moisture issues, I presume) but it is almost always garaged, I only use it for towing and I live in the anti-rust belt of Oregon. Hopefully, this may help a bit with keeping heat transference from the exhaust pipes to the tranny.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:27 AM
unioncreek
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Beyond converter stall speed is considered "locked" after a fashion. In the most basic terms, "locked" implies TCC engaged. Installing a switch really won't help you overmuch..... but, it COULD hurt you. (if you forget about it too often.)
I have a TCC lockup switch on mine. I use it all the time when pulling my 5th wheel. Fifth wheel weighs around 7K loaded. With the TCC locked up and pulling a 7% grade my temp will stay down around 120*, I unlock my TCC when speed drops to about 30. Then my temps start to climb and I have to watch the tranny temps. But, we're talking grades of 7 to 9 % for anywhere from 5 to 8 miles.

Quick Reply: Transmissions, coolers, and gauges