2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Guy Would Like some help

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 02:22 AM
KickerCarG20
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy Would Like some help

Hey,

I just got a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 4x4. I'm new to owning a big truck that I actually care about and I want to make sure I do things right. I've read a lot of the posts on the forum and have a lot of good ideas.

I put a flowmaster 50 series exhaust w/ 3.75 tubes and dual 3.5" pipes out the back. Now I want to work on rims/tires/lift.

I want it to be bigger but I guess since I have to drive this truck to meetings and whatnot it can't be huge (damn this being an adult). I called a few places around here and talked with them. Their suggestions were all over the place ranging from a 3" body lift to 5.5" suspension lift. I was under the understanding that body lifts weren't that good and it's a waste of money (no offense meant to anyone who has this, I'm new, I don't know). What would you all suggest?

I found the post "anyone have pics of 33" tires" and I found a few trucks that looked like something I want. For example

http://www.pavementsucks.com/gallery...php?ride_id=29

and

https://dodgeforum.com/upfiles/1508/...C7B018341E.gif

and

https://dodgeforum.com/m_291427/tm.htm

Problem is I'm not sure what these guys have done (or the correct order to do these things in). If you guys could point in the right direction I sure would appreciate it. BTW sorry about being the new guy that posts the really long posts, once I get up to speed I promise I won't do it agian.

Thanks
Chris

Old 11-11-2005, 03:05 AM
Fubba
Professional
Default RE: New Guy Would Like some help

I have 33"X12.50 on my 96 1500 4x4. They will fit without a lift and still give it that lift look. Especially if you get some 15 or 16X8 rims to allow the tires to stick out a couple of inches on the sides with the right backspacing of course. These trucks are already high as it is and will be REALLY high with a 5" suspension lift. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow. Don't have any right now sorry. It will give you something to look at to see what route you want to take.

Old 11-11-2005, 05:14 AM
pollocksn
Professional

Well i got a 01 4x4 and I just put new tires on today I went with a 285/75/16 A/T which comes out to a 33' tire i believe. i could have put a larger tire on but as much as i drive it would have been more money all around. If you are not wanting to lift the truck a whole lot you should check out the leveling kits. It raises the front up 2'. You can fit a bigger tire without spending lots of $. The only down side I can see is if you tow trailers often, Back-end would be lower than the front depending on what you are pulling. If you want the tires to stick out just find a wheel with a smaller back spacing. Factory dodge wheels come with a 3.5 back spacing so look for something with a less.
Just my opinions not that I know all that much.

Old 11-11-2005, 05:39 AM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

if you are going to lift it, do so by suspension first. if you think about it a bit, the three inch body lift is about as high as you would ever want to go. when you go around the turns the body is going to roll (sad unfortunate but it happens) and thus put torque on the mounting points. the farther off the frame the body is the more torque is going to be applied. it's possible if the turn is hard enough that you will shear the bolts and seperate the body from the frame. granted it's probably a rather hard turn, but even so i wouldn't want to take the chance.

i appologize if you already knew this. besides if you lift the suspension you will get more travel, bigger and larger things you can climb because of this, lift the body you still got that little stock height clearance.

just some ideas for you to think about. could always go out and buy a second truck and lift that sky high...

Old 11-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First off, welcome. Don't worry about the long posts. You are asking good questions.

The trucks you linked to have no more then 3" lifts, and run 33"-34" tires. If that is the look you are going for, stay with a suspension lift, not a body lift. Installation is very easy, and 3" kits can be found from a number of vendors to make a lift like that, or you can peice it together yourself on the cheap. One thing to keep in mind when doing a lift and going with bigger tires, you will lug your engine down some, which will impact performance and gas mileage (unless it is a diesel, then you probably won't notice nearly as bad). The best fix for this is to change your gears. For 33"-34" tire, you would want a gear in the 4.10 ballpark. This is not cheap, and lots of guys do run larger tires on stock gears with no complaints. But if you want the performance to really shine, definetly consider changing gears.

My last comment is about your exhaust. If your truck is a 1500, chances are it is a 318 V8 or a 360 V8. Either way, 3.75" tubes and dual 3.5" out the back is way to big of pipes for a gas engine. Usually, only diesels run pipes that big, and they usually do a single exhaust.
You may want to consider running a 2.5" to 3" tubes with 2.25" outlets. Running too big of a pipe will cause you to lose low end torque. With these trucks being as heavy as they are, you will want as much of that as you can get, escpecially if you are thinking of going to bigger tires and a lift.

Post some pics of your truck.

Old 11-11-2005, 04:31 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge
My last comment is about your exhaust. If your truck is a 1500, chances are it is a 318 V8 or a 360 V8. Either way, 3.75" tubes and dual 3.5" out the back is way to big of pipes for a gas engine. Usually, only diesels run pipes that big, and they usually do a single exhaust.
You may want to consider running a 2.5" to 3" tubes with 2.25" outlets. Running too big of a pipe will cause you to lose low end torque. With these trucks being as heavy as they are, you will want as much of that as you can get, escpecially if you are thinking of going to bigger tires and a lift.
I agree! The diameter of your piping is WAY too big for your truck.

Old 11-11-2005, 08:28 PM
KickerCarG20

Thanks for all your help. I looked again at the pipes and they are 2.75. I also looked at the tips but they are still 3.5". This is why I wanted to post here before I did anything and lost to much money. I really apprecaite all the help. I will keep asking questions and posting pictures once I get back in town.

Thanks

Old 11-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

I have a body lift on mine. I dunno, its alright but I much rather have a suspension. I got it cause they're dirt cheap (under $100) and I can put some bigger tires on it later. They're a pain in the butt though, especially with dual exhaust because your exhaust is mounted to the frame, so when you raise the body the tips will stay where they are and look dumb. Also for things like brush guards they suck because those mount to the frame.

Its possible to have your tips raised so they look right, and possible to mound brushguards/bull bars but its an extra pain in the butt. I'm gonna be putting a brushguard on mine as soon as the parts kit gets here and I already know its gonna be a pain fabing mounts to make it work.

Go with a suspension unless your very very tight on cash!

Old 11-12-2005, 09:07 PM
Fubba
Professional
Default The Pictures I Promised

One from the front...

Another...I have to get a new running board for this side. It got hit.

The side...I'm thinking about changing the rims. They haven't grown on me yet. You can't see them too well in this pic. Kinda dark.

Hope these work and give you some ideas.

Old 11-14-2005, 01:01 AM
KickerCarG20
Default RE: The Pictures I Promised

Hey Fubba You truck looks good from the front but I can't get the other two pics. You think you send them to me or direct me somewhere to get them?

Thanks