2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hughes plenum vs stock

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 08:31 PM
jordons2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hughes plenum vs stock

So I'm getting ready to change my plenum gasket and was wondering how long it will last if I just use the stock plenum vs the Hughes aftermarket kit. How long will it t last if I go back stock. All input is greatly appreciated

Old 07-27-2016, 08:57 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As HeyYou said in your other thread, the new gasket should be fine. It will probably last the rest of the life of the engine. The Hughes would be overkill (by most accounts). Sometimes, though, I like overkill.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:57 PM
COL
Rookie

Alright, I can give some helpful tips on doing this job. First off when you pull the Intake off the truck make sure every surface gets cleaned to a like new finish, and don't cut any corners. Label everything, and be careful with the connectors as they are getting brittle in their old age. Secondly your far better off ordering an Intake manifold gasket kit. Try to find one by a reputable company like Fel-Pro or Dorman. And by kit I mean the complete on that comes with new intake manifold bolts, plenum plate bolts, thermostat, bypass hose for the water pump and more. Its not that much more money and trust me, you will need it. DO NOT TRY TO REUSE THE INTAKE BOLTS. They WILL BREAK as they are designed to be a one time to torque bolt. Secondly the issue really is not with the plenum plate as much as it is with the bolts. Think about that statement. If the cause of the failure really was due to different expansion rates between the steel plate and the aluminum intake manifold causing the gasket to suck in, there would be a heck of alot more issues than that. Aluminum and steel are used together in engines all the time, thats what brings us to the bolts. The bolts have a machined nipple on the end of the threads that helped with assembly at the engine plant, all it does is guide the bolt into the threaded hole straight so they can quickly zip them bolts in for the plenum plate. With that nipple the tapped hole depth and the bolt shank length are the same causing the bolt to bottom out before its torqued properly to the plate. Grind that nipple off the bottom and boom, holds the plate correctly and you will never have an issue again! Another tip, while your in there and have the intake manifold off, you have wide open access to the cap and rotor, great time to go ahead and replace those, and if your valve cover gaskets are starting to leak its easy to get at those now too! Also when you reinstall your intake be careful not to break off the top portion of your Oil Pressure sending unit...(I know from experience)

Old 07-28-2016, 08:14 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Do they even sell the stock gasket? I know there is a updated version of it that is a bit thicker. Personally i went with Hughes and it's been on for over ten years and not one issue.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:11 AM
jordons2

I guess a better way to say is is the stock plenum plate s using the Hughes but no problems in ten years. That pretty much sells me on the Hughes kit.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:42 PM
vmaxept
Rookie

Sort of dumb question (new to Ram Trucks)
Assume the 2000 V10 has the same problem? Mine is 16 yrs old but only 80K miles
Second owner and yes it was really driven by a little OL on weekends to pull a small horse trailer, stored in the barn when not used.
ps did try to find this answer in the 50 page plenum post

Old 07-28-2016, 04:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Nope, V-10 has a completely different manifold design, so the plenum failure isn't an issue for them.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:13 PM
vmaxept
Rookie

Thanks Good to know. Appropriate everyone for dealing with a newbee Ram owner. I read all I can but sometimes it easier to ask a quick question.
Now all I have to do is find a thread that lists all the V-10 problems..so I have something to worry about
Maybe I should post to the intro forum thread
R

Old 07-28-2016, 06:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Actually, the V-10 trucks don't really have that many problems... Nothing on the scale that you see in the v-8 trucks... Better intake design, heavier duty trans, around here, it is quite common to see them still on the road with 300K miles...... and still the original engine/trans. Yours is new enough that parts availability is still good, but, don't expect much in the way of aftermarket performance parts..... Even finding headers for a reasonable price is pretty much impossible. (No, I do not consider 600 bucks for headers "reasonable".....)

Old 07-29-2016, 01:15 PM
vmaxept
Rookie

HY well nice to know all that. No big list of issues is great news.
Had a 2005 POS Ford 6.0 PSD problems ?? HA. Sold it to get a Ford V10 then sold that for a profit.

Quick Reply: Hughes plenum vs stock