2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

dodge ram 46re help

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 08:34 AM
denn69
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default dodge ram 46re help

Popped the 1740 (TCC/OD solenoid performance). code this weekend. Had the dealer do the TSB Test and its pointing to the Boost valve plate (hole needs to be enlarged). Instead of them doing it I ordered the Superior one that has the clip built in. The trans was rebuilt 10,000 miles ago. I figured while I was in there I would do some preventative maintenance. I compiled a list of parts I was going to order and was just looking for some feedback. Maybe any cons to any of the parts. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I have not played with many 46re's before. Here is the list so far:

Sonnax Cure Kit
Superior TCC Boost valve retainer.
New Pressure Transducer
New billet manifold with HD governor (GM Style)
tcc and overdrive solenoid harness
Sonnax billet accumulator
sonnax billet low/rear servo with piston plug

I wasnt sure about the 2nd gear super hold servo. Is this worth it? Also is the superior low/rear servo any better than sonnax?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks again

Ps. I did a search before posting this and read through 35 pages of Monte C's Transmission help. I would have posted there but the last post was 2010. The list I put together Im looking for a general Ya or Nay feedback. My main question is about the 2nd gear servo and the superior / sonnax quality.

Last edited by denn69; 08-15-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:38 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In for info as my Dakota has the same tranny.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:07 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts
Old 08-15-2016, 06:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

The GM governor pressure solenoid conversion first came about because it was significantly better than the stock dodge pieces. (not that the stock pieces were really all that bad.... properly maintained, they are good for several hundred thousand miles.) Today though, Borg Warner makes a "heavy duty" governor solenoid, that is better than stock, and a LOT cheaper than the GM conversion. Think I would go that route instead.

Billet servos to replace the potentially plastic ones aren't a bad idea. Which is 'better' though.... NO clue.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:48 PM
denn69
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the replies. I been reading around the forums and google about the second gear super hold servo having a bind. I'm not sure what this means. It seems that most people claim it with a higher ratio lever. I don't think I need to go that route (lever). I also am not going digging into the internals as the trans was just rebuilt. The truck will be used to tow a boat at most. I will have a 5" lift with bigger tires. I just want the trans to be strong. If I am going to go into the pan and valve body I want to do it right....once. Thanks

Quick Reply: dodge ram 46re help