2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering strangeness

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 03:47 PM
Nate_rs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Well, you're missing the sway bar, end links, and stabilizer. I would start there.

All the TREs look good.
Yeah I opted to remove those about 15,000 miles back. I didn't notice any difference in handling or steering so I'm not going to put them back on now

Old 09-09-2016, 06:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Sway bar just controls body roll in corners. It shouldn't make any difference to what he is seeing......

Stabilizer wouldn't matter either. Mine has been toast as long as I have own the truck.... Still drives ok. (but, I do need shocks.....)

Old 09-10-2016, 11:29 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Well, my truck must be special because I could tell an improvement by changing just my end links, and adding my stabilizer to my HD steering last week. I'm not saying they are essential, just that they do make a difference.

If your truck is still moving, it must be how its mounted to the frame, meaning the track bar ends. I see it has an adjustment in the middle? Are those jam nuts alien tight?

Old 09-10-2016, 07:18 PM
Nate_rs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Well, my truck must be special because I could tell an improvement by changing just my end links, and adding my stabilizer to my HD steering last week. I'm not saying they are essential, just that they do make a difference.

If your truck is still moving, it must be how its mounted to the frame, meaning the track bar ends. I see it has an adjustment in the middle? Are those jam nuts alien tight?
Yeah I'm thinking about putting in a nice stabilizer at some point. That'll be after I get this sorted though.

Yeah they're pretty damn tight, both ends are torqued to spec and it is very solid in there.

I want to try popping the old pitman arm back on just to see if it makes any difference but the new one is so damn ballsy that the puller doesn't fit over it....

Any idea how to get that off?

Old 09-10-2016, 11:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Two big hammers. (I use a pair of three pound single-jacks. (big *** hammers)) Hold one hammer against one side of the collar around the sector shaft (where the arm mounts to the steering box), and SMACK the other side with the other hammer. Two or three good hits, and it should drop right off.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:57 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 362 Likes on 340 Posts

big *** hammers
BFH's!

Quick Reply: Steering strangeness