2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 Ram 3500 Soft Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 08:34 PM
kminnich
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Ram 3500 Soft Brakes

Firstly, let me clarify, I am by no means an
automotive mechanic automotive mechanic
. I have a 2000 Ram 3500 4X4 that has been experiencing brake problems for some time now. The symptoms were/are soft pedal, brake light would come on occasionally then go out, the brakes would grab occasionally, and the brake lights remain on for about 15 seconds after releasing the pedal
I couldn't figure out what was wrong so I took it to a BrakeMax in Tucson AZ, they replaced the booster unit, master cylinder, some brake lines, 2 wheel cylinders, power steering line to booster, steering gear box, power steering pump & reservoir, did a power steering flush, and a brake system flush ($2000.00!!!).
They kept the truck for two days and when I went to pick it up the breaks were still soft! When I press the pedal it would slowly sink all the way to the floor. The truck would stop but it does so kind of slowly. The mechanic said that there is air in the power steering system that will dissipate after a couple of days. I am thinking that I just received the royal shaft without the pleasure of Vaseline!
Given, all the parts that were replaced, the flushing’s, and bleeding what else could possibly be wrong with this trucks brake system? Also, since I feel no change in the before/after repair how do I handle this with the business, they obviously replaced a bunch of parts that did not need replacing?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Take it back, point out to them that it is doing EXACTLY the same thing it was before you forked over 2 grand. See what they have to say. If they try and give you some song and dance about air in the P/S system, then they are admitting they have no clue what they are doing, and you should get at least the money for labor back. (leave the new parts on the truck.) If they keep it, and STILL don't fix it...... and won't refund anything, have a chat with a lawyer. Or ,dispute the charges with your CC company. (if you paid that way.)

I would also be real tempted to crawl around under there, and make sure they actually replaced the stuff they said they did. Do NOT take anything apart.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:51 PM
kminnich

Yeah, they replaced the parts, I made them show me the old parts and why they replaced them. It seems the main reason for replacement was leaks, around the connections and compression fittings. Note: I bought this truck new and have never seen a drop of anything (except condensation) on the ground. Any idea what is wrong with the brakes?

Old 09-17-2016, 11:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Soft brakes/sinking pedal is a sign of air still in the brake lines, and a loss of pressure somewhere. Given that most of your brake system has been replaced...... makes it interesting for sure.

Do you have 4 wheel anti-lock by chance?

Old 09-17-2016, 12:12 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

did they adjust the rear brakes?
did they look at or say anything about the front calipers?

I have a caliper that's bad and it pops now and then and wouldn't be surprised if it was to do with some of my spongy pedal. I've bleed the whole system and no improvement.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:53 PM
kminnich

Yes, it is a 4 wheel anti-lock system. I asked the mechanic about the pads, drums, and calipers and he indicated all were fine. I do not know if they adjusted the rear brakes, I guess I just assumed that that is simply part of a brake job-- it is not listed on the invoice. Thanks.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:32 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Brake Max has always treated me okay. First thing you need to do is take it back and have the service writer or manager take it out for a little test ride. Sounds like there's air in the system or the rear brakes/drums are out of adjustment. If you pump your brakes do they come back up to the normal position? That would indicate air in the system or a slow fluid leak--maybe at the wheel cylinders.

Two grand for brakes!!! Holy Crap!

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 09-17-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:35 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Which brake lines did they replace? Maybe you have a pinhole in the dreaded by-the-tank brake line. (Although in AZ, I don't think you get much rust)

Old 09-17-2016, 02:08 PM
kminnich

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
Brake Max has always treated me okay. First thing you need to do is take it back and have the service writer or manager take it out for a little test ride. Sounds like there's air in the system or the rear brakes/drums are out of adjustment. If you pump your brakes do they come back up to the normal position? That would indicate air in the system or a slow fluid leak--maybe at the wheel cylinders.

Two grand for brakes!!! Holy Crap!

Yeah, holy crap, that's a lot of beer! if I pump the brakes they firm up, but when I stop pumping, and press on the pedal it slowly sinks to the floorboard. I also noticed that the rear brake lights remain on for 15-30 sec after I release the brakes and get out of the truck. So, it seems, that the pedal is not returning in a timely mater. I have no problem with Brake Max but it seems that their mechanic replaced parts that didn't need to be replaced. Clearly, after replacing all those parts and the problem is still there--the replaced parts were not the problem. I Will be taking it back, I just want to be armed with as much information as I can when I do. OH, Boy! what a mess.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:18 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kminnich
...press on the pedal it slowly sinks to the floorboard.
That sure sounds like a leak to me. It definitely loses hydraulic pressure.

Quick Reply: 2000 Ram 3500 Soft Brakes