2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brakes shudder when hard stop

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 08:48 PM
John Warren
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes shudder when hard stop

HI, I have a 2001 2500 cummings 2wd . I just replaced the rear drum brakes completely . Just before that new front brake calipers,rotors,pads. Since then the truck has developed a shudder when stopping hard. Not sure what it could be. I noticed after doing the calipers the front right brake locked up during the test drive after braking hard I thought that was an air bubble so I blead the hole brake system again. That seemed to fix it and just last week it started shuddering. Any ideas of what it might be? Not sure if it has any thing to do with it but there's a power steering leak that started during our road trip to Florida. Thanks

Old 11-06-2016, 09:03 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like something was not put back together properly and/or you didn't "bed in" (break in) the brakes properly. And EVERY manufacturer has their own ways to bed them in.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:17 PM
97ramrod1500
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check out the entire front end and verify there's no loose parts. Pay close attention to the control arm bushings. If they're worn out enough they can really stretch and flex quite a bit when you apply the brakes.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:10 PM
John Warren

I've ever heard of bed in or break in the brakes. I've replaced he front brakes so any I'm especially very lost count on this truck. However since very switched to drilled and slotted rotors that helped a lot! As for the ball joints and bushings those have all been done within the last year or so. Thanks for your responses.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:16 PM
John Warren

Sorry autocorrect sucks. I ment to say I've replaced the front brakes so many times I've lost count and haven't had it do this. However since I switched to drilled and slotted rotors that helped a lot.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:28 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of the break in procedures involve some form of the following: several slowdowns from 20mph to NEAR 0, without stopping, letting the pads cool in between each slowdown. Then, several slowdowns from 40mph to about 20mph, letting the pads cool in between each slowdown. This applies some surface material from the new pads to the new or resurfaced rotors or drums. By not stopping in between, the pads do not have a chance to cool against the drum or rotor misshapen.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:35 AM
John Warren

I understand now and in a way I've been doing that but not as specific as what you just told me. If that was the problem how can I fix it? Is it to late since I've put 5000 miles on since that brake job. This did not start doing this till after the road trip to Florida.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:14 AM
97ramrod1500
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John Warren
I've ever heard of bed in or break in the brakes. I've replaced he front brakes so any I'm especially very lost count on this truck. However since very switched to drilled and slotted rotors that helped a lot! As for the ball joints and bushings those have all been done within the last year or so. Thanks for your responses.
You did the upper and lower control arm bushings? Or just the ball joints in the control arms? Is double check the bushings before you dismiss them as a potential problem especially cause it happens during hard braking.

I wouldn't worry about the brake pads seating being an issue. With over 5000 miles on them you should be fine.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Do you feel the shudder thru the steering wheel, or the seat?

Old 11-09-2016, 11:26 AM
John Warren

All uppers and lowers have been done. The shocks have also even done. The shudder is in the steering wheel and brake pedal. On the Cummins trucks does the brake power assist come from the steering system? If so it's leaking I haven't had time to fix that but even if you top of the fluid if the still does it.