2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Losing Power

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 11:12 PM
dalewissmann
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing Power

I have a 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.9 liter. So I noticed today when I was going to school that I was losing power and didn't sound like normal. So I got it to school just fine. When I was on my way home, it was doing the same thing and was like hesitating to keep speed so I pulled over again. It didn't sound the same like it normally does. I put it in nuetral and revved it and it only went up to 1400-1500rpms and then it went right down to 400rpms which is really low. There are no check engine light either. I've been told it could be bad spark plugs, a clogged cat, or a clogged or dirty fuel filter. It ran fine but wasent right. I would really like to find out the problem of anybody's help.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:41 PM
getdown78
Veteran

mine did that and had a weak fuel pump !

Old 11-11-2016, 01:15 AM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Unscrew your O2 sensor and leave it out. If your cat is plugged, it should run better. The open hole from the O2 sensor lets exhaust escape and reduce back pressure. It will set a code. If you haven't replaced the plenum gasket, it is probably leaking, and the cause of your plugged cat.

If you haven't done a tuneup in a long time, it would be a very good time to change the fuel filter, plugs (NGK), cap, rotor, and O2 sensor (NTK). Check the fuel pressure and clean the idle air control.

If the the plenum gasket is bad and you have the money, it isn't supposed to be much more work to install a new timing chain and gears. When I do mine I'm going to put a new water pump and thermostat in as well. I might also do the kegger mod.

It also wouldn't hurt to add Sea Foam or fuel system cleaner of your choice to the next couple tanks of fuel.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:23 AM
dalewissmann

I heard also that if I unplug the pre-cat O2 sensor and it's more responsive, my cat is clogged. That also could be because my #8 spark plug is fouled and if it is, I will change al of the plugs. Also, I heard it could be a dirty or clogged fuel filter but I'll have to check my fuel pressure first on the fuel rail. I'm hoping it's not my plenum gasket.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

If you haven't done the plenum gasket yet, it's probably time.... You will burn oil, and that kills cats, plugs, and O2 sensors.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:48 PM
dalewissmann

Well yeah, I've definitely heard it could be my fuel filter which I don't have one, I have a sock in the fuel tank that could be clogged. I'm getting it looked at on Monday and there going to check my fuel pressure in the fuel rail. I believe that could be the problem because I started it up earlier and it took a couple of cranks to start up. It doesn't burn any oil so it can't be the plenum gasket. Maybe in the spring time I will eventually replace it.