2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Multiple Electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 03:51 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Looks like the Radio gets power from a couple different sources......

Fuse 1 in the PDC, (under the hood) That feller is 50 amps...... and supplies fuse 17 in the fuse block on the side of the dash. (which then runs to the radio.)

Fuse 3 goes to the ignition switch..... and then via fuse 7, to the radio. There's at least one more, (fuse 13) that supplies power for the illumination on the radio.
Checked all fuses today he you look good. Took the radio out and went to test for my ground and power. My ground strap coming off of the rear center of the radio looks good. I don't have a test light, so I tested for continuity between the ground strap, and the frame of the truck. Has a very minimal reading, so the ground looks good. I'd still like to check the ground where it actually grounds to the Frame, but not sure where it is. It's G103' runs through ground wire Z2 18BK LG. If you know where that would be please ping me that way.

Then I decided to check for power. The radio has 4 power inputs or something like that, or at least the reading I got. Here's a picture of the service manual with al, the radio power inputs.

Multiple Electrical issues-img_3263.jpg
Multiple Electrical issues-img_3264.jpg

So I checked if those lined up with what I have on my pin inputs.

Multiple Electrical issues-img_3233.jpg
Multiple Electrical issues-img_3262.png

They I do get power through all those, pin 7 I get all time power for radio memory. Pin 6 is hot In the ACC. Or run position on the key. And pins 5 and 4 are hot with the headlamps switch on. There seem to be two for the headlamps because of the two positions on the switch, park lights and head lamps.

So I seem to be getting all the power I should be. The other black connector for the radio is all wires for the speakers, and 2 pins on the grey are for speakers. There is however no #1 pin in the grey connector, and I don't see any #1 in the service manual either. There is all 7 pins in the black connector. So does that mean I have the priemium stereo radio? I have the infinity sound system in the truck?

I'm not sure where to go from here. I have power and ground. Would there be anything I'm missing?

Old 11-24-2016, 04:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Yeah, infinity IS the premium sound system.

The front speakers have amps on the speakers, not sure if the rears do as well, so, they need power for those.

Apparently, the rears have amps as well???? Wiring diagram is just a bit hard to decipher, but, they have power running to them for amps.....

Verify that you are getting power OUT to the amps on C230, pin 1. (dark green, with red trace.)

Old 11-24-2016, 05:09 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Yeah, infinity IS the premium sound system.

The front speakers have amps on the speakers, not sure if the rears do as well, so, they need power for those.

Apparently, the rears have amps as well???? Wiring diagram is just a bit hard to decipher, but, they have power running to them for amps.....

Verify that you are getting power OUT to the amps on C230, pin 1. (dark green, with red trace.)
Currently no power to the amps, via pin 1 on c230. Was a little hard to get to with the radio plugged in. Not sure if it would change anything, but when the little leds came on on the treble/bass slider things, I got the on and off speaker noise, not sure if it was the amps though. Currently don't have those little leds on.

Still haven't had any sign of life with the display.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:02 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

C230 is the black connector coming off of the radio. Just to be sure, I'm not the best at reading these diagrams, I find them confusing as hell sometimes.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Christian Suhr
C230 is the black connector coming off of the radio. Just to be sure, I'm not the best at reading these diagrams, I find them confusing as hell sometimes.
So do I.

229 and 230 are both black...... and both 7 pin..... Well, that makes life fun..... The wire on C230 Pin 1 should be Orange with a red trace.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:07 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just for grins, pull the plug off of the radio and check for voltages and ground continuity, at the plug.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:47 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Originally Posted by dbbd1
Just for grins, pull the plug off of the radio and check for voltages and ground continuity, at the plug.
I have power where i should, and I have ground. That's all checked and done. Grounds through a strap at the back of the radio, just bolts on, and then gets power through 4 different pins. Main comes through pin 6 on c229.

Last edited by CJSuhr; 11-25-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:58 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

So do I.

229 and 230 are both black...... and both 7 pin..... Well, that makes life fun..... The wire on C230 Pin 1 should be Orange with a red trace.
What do you mean by that? I only have two connectors going to the radio, ones black and ones grey, both 7 pin though.
Multiple Electrical issues-img_3233.jpg

What I don't understand is this:
Multiple Electrical issues-image.jpg
In this picture, you see two pins leading off the radio labeled c229. The other 4 pins on c 229 are the 4 power pins. Ok so that linds up. But then there are only 3 c230 pins, and then 4 c330. Is c230 for the amps, and c330 for the speakers, and they decided to Mash it up all into 1 plug?

The wire on c230 says it's a DG RD, guessing Dark green with a red trace, and that's what lines up with my pin one on the connector. I only have 1 pin one and that's on the second connector, no pin 1 on the grey one.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Wonder if connector colors changed.... wouldn't be the first time Dodge did something like that.

Good news is, the link for the 94 service manual works again. May wanna download that one, and see if anything is *different*.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:52 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Wonder if connector colors changed.... wouldn't be the first time Dodge did something like that.

Good news is, the link for the 94 service manual works again. May wanna download that one, and see if anything is *different*.
Haven't gotten a chance to look at it yet. But for grins I wanted to see what would happen if I plugged in another junk yard radio. and surprisingly, same thing it's been doing for me. You have backlighting, and you hear the power on the speakers or amps turning on and off. But still no display or clock.

So I plugged my radio back in and I have the little orange leds on the slides again, and then also the backlighting, but still no display. When I checked for voltage going to the amps on pin 1, my orange leds were not on, and I got no sound of the on/off from the amps. So I'll test pin 1 on the blCk connector and see if I have any voltage now.