2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Multiple Electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 10:31 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Think I would replace the head unit, being how screwy it is.......
This thread is getting long but I think he already tried a different HU.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbd1
Yeah, and some of the problems remained, but, this one, being kinda schizo on if it wants to be a radio, or tape player? Don't think any of the truck electrical would have much to do with that..... But.... Stranger things have happened......

Old 12-19-2016, 10:58 AM
CJSuhr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried the head unit, but it wasn't correct, it was a non infinity. I'll see if I can find a infinity unit and get back to that later.

And I know it's getting long, but I'd rather have a long thread to combat all my problem than have 4 or 5. I've been on other forums in the past for other stuff, like my Chevy, and I find more than one for things like these annoying. At least thats what I think.

Moving on, I want to figure out power locks. Now I tested for power at the lock switches on both the driver and passenger sides, and I have power going in, and out in both the lock and unlock position. Now when messing with the passenger side switch, I was able to get it to lock the door by just messing with it, and that's all I every got out of it, and it did lock both doors.

Where should I start now? Are the actuators known for failing, or if I got them to work once, should they work in theory? Any relays?

Old 12-19-2016, 11:03 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All power for the locks and windows go through the drivers side switches first. Sounds like it's working for the locks at least. Refresh my memory on what problems you are gushing with the locks.

And, I guess I didn't know that it was a non-infinity HU. Definitely try the infinity style. Sorry, I didn't catch that.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:57 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

All power for the locks and windows go through the drivers side switches first. Sounds like it's working for the locks at least. Refresh my memory on what problems you are gushing with the locks.

And, I guess I didn't know that it was a non-infinity HU. Definitely try the infinity style. Sorry, I didn't catch that.
They don't work. Just seem so like their dead. When tinkering with the passenger side got it to lock both doors onecw, and never again got it to work.
Have power going in and out of both switches.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Bottoms of your doors rusty? Might just be poor connections at the latch.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:24 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Bottoms of your doors rusty? Might just be poor connections at the latch.
No. it's an old farm truck, so was never really driven in salty road conditions. Only 2 spots over the drivers wheel well is what Is what I have.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:29 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Well, Christmas Day we got some really heavy rains in the morning here. An wow, such a coincidence, "sarcasm", my radio again, stopped working after working for 2 weeks, after that heavy rain. I ordered a radio off eBay, made sure it was the infinity. Now I'm trying to track down the radio choke. I'm pretty sure it's low in the dash, possibly affected by water. It seems to me that I have a water leak, I have yet to pull the carpets, but I'll see if it's damp in the next few days. What could possibly get affected by water, on the drivers side? Anything important I need to worry about? I know the fuse block.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you were getting enough water in the cab to cause electrical issues, the floor would likely be obviously wet..... The fuse block in the cab, is on the side of the dash, not really in the path of any potential water intrusion......

Anything is possible though. So, wouldn't hurt to have a look around there.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:26 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

If you were getting enough water in the cab to cause electrical issues, the floor would likely be obviously wet..... The fuse block in the cab, is on the side of the dash, not really in the path of any potential water intrusion......

Anything is possible though. So, wouldn't hurt to have a look around there.
Yea, might have been a coincidence, but who knows. The Capet didn't feel wet. I've been battling a water leak in my Chevy too, and they are just the worst, apart from electrician that is. I'll update once I get my branused radio in, and also I find I find anything else on the locks.

Was going to ask, how do you remove the door panels?