2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 ram 1500, rebuilt 46re no reverse

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 10:04 PM
viprus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ramrod1500
Sounds like a valve body issue to me. Problem with a "rebuilt" eBay valve body is all you can HOPE is that whoever rebuilt the valve body put all the spool valves, springs, plugs, ect. Back together correctly and the correct way.

What was wrong with your old valve Body?
Valve body was functional, i think. Just heavily varnished. I got the truck with the direct and OD clutches burnt, along with the low/reverse servo broken.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:46 PM
viprus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default solved

Solved:

The rebuilt valve body on ebay was bad.
They used a older (pre reverse check-ball) valvebody steel gasket that was missing the second bleed hole. And they had installed a check ball. The attached image shows where both holes should be present, mine only had one.

With the check ball installed in a 1 hole valve body steel plate, it acts like a check valve and prevents any fluid from reaching the low/reverse servo when pressure is applied. The 2 hole design and check ball in the later style design were there to allow for gentle application of the low/reverse servo (small hole, and check valve applied over large hole) and a sudden release (both holes, check ball not applied)

Old 12-03-2016, 01:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

How does it shift now?

Old 12-03-2016, 01:58 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dang! A lot of trouble for something that should have been a slamdunk. Did you return the valve body or just modify it, and use a new gasket?

Thanks for posting the fix and info though.