2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shifting and running high RPM 96 5.9 halt ton

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 05:07 AM
Tedra Sayre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting and running high RPM 96 5.9 halt ton

Okay I've been having a problem and it been going on for a little while now when driving out on the free lanes you got your slight hills well it shifts fine mostly up to about 55mph when going up a slight hill or flat ground and I give it throttle the rpm's run up to about 3000 and over but never to the 4000 point as if it don't have the power acting like it's dragging but still holding speed with rpm's at 3000 as soon as I start to go down the hill and gain speed it shifts not too sure what the problem is I've had transmission worked on the computer is from a 97 360 half ton spark plugs changed needing some help here any ideas on what the cause could be I've also had the wiring harness replaced .

Old 11-29-2016, 09:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Possible plenum issues, leading to a clogged cat. That's make the truck feel seriously down on power. You can check it by just looking down the throttle body, see if you see any oil pooling. A more thorough check is to pull the throttle body, and look at the back of intake (inside), and see what ya see. It's a common problem on these trucks.

So, once you are sure the engine is running right, see if the problem persists, and we can go from there.

Welcome to DF!

Old 11-29-2016, 10:49 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, your cat has a hairball.

Hey You must have been busy, otherwise he would have mentioned to remove the front O2 sensor from the pipe (it will throw a code). Leave the hole open,motive it around and see if it doesn't feel better. If it does, you cat is clogged (probably from your blown plenum).

Old 08-31-2019, 10:45 PM
Nicholas Seyfarth
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just wondering when the last time if ever, have you done preventative maintenance or scheduled maintenance to the transmission and do you have a external transmission cooler. Also did you say grind on the throttle body? The tolerances between the body and butterfly valve can greatly affect the idle and performance of the vehicle.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:58 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicholas Seyfarth
I was just wondering when the last time if ever, have you done preventative maintenance or scheduled maintenance to the transmission and do you have a external transmission cooler. Also did you say grind on the throttle body? The tolerances between the body and butterfly valve can greatly affect the idle and performance of the vehicle.
Three. Year. Old. Thread.

Quick Reply: Shifting and running high RPM 96 5.9 halt ton