2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

While i'm in there... planning for plenum fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 01:00 PM
BA_From_GA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default While i'm in there... planning for plenum fix

So thanks to DF, I've learned that I need to replace the plenum and gasket on my '00 5.2. I am leaning toward getting an intake and throttle body from a junk yard that way i can do the throttle body mod and kegger mod to open up air flow and just have the new intake ready to bolt straight on when i pull the current one. The extras will only cost me $50 from the local bone-yard.

The truck has 232k on it, and i was getting ready to do a tune up anyway.

I'm thinking of combining a few things while i've got the top of the block cleared:

1) replacing the ignition system with a Davis United Firepower kit to get a bit hotter spark.
2) New Plugs
3) replacing the hydraulic fan with a Jeep v-8 fan
4) 180* t-stat
5) getting a Superchips so i can dump the death flash.

Any reason I should not do all of that at once? Any thing else that should be done while i'm in there? It's a daily driver, mostly highway. Don't do any hauling. Is the DUI ignition worth the price? My thought is it would possibly boost mileage a bit, and the ignition components need replaced anyway.

The next phase of this is going to be headers, hi-flow cat, and new muffler -- but that's probably 6 or 8 months down the road.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:25 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

I don't feel the ignition system upgrade will net any real benefits. Save that $$ and put it towards your exhaust system or consider replacing the car/rotor/plug wires and possibly the distributor while you are doing the job, since those parts are hard to access with the kegger in place. I used Autolite platinum plugs with the stock ignition system and they work great. I went with the following exhaust system parts and had a decent muffler shop install/weld them up for me:

Dynomax UltraFlo Welded Muffler - 17233
Magnaflow Converter - 99047HM (dual 2" inlets, 3" outlet, front O2 sensor port)
1 - bung for rear O2 sensor

Old 12-04-2016, 09:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Skip the 180 stat as well. Your truck won't like it. (and will throw a code.)
Tuner isn't a bad idea. Also check with HemiFever, or Flyin' Ryan. (google is your friend)

Getting an intake/throttle body to mod, and then simply install, is a VERY good plan. (that's what I did too.....) If you do the intake mod, that is most certainly time consuming. (which was a major factor in my decision.)

Old 12-05-2016, 09:13 AM
BA_From_GA

Atomic Dog -- any reason besides cost that you went with the magnaflow over a bolt in unit like a flowmaster? I ask only because I've had poor luck with "Generic" Cats in vehicles in the past.

HeyYou -- good info on the stat.... i've got to pass emissios every year and don't want to be changing that out come test time each year. I travel a ton, so working on the kegger mod on the road would be easy, and make it a lot simpler to swap them out without taking as much time away from the wife and kids on a weekend. Not to mention, these magnum v8s are a dime a dozen in boneyards around here -- i figure i'll take a telescoping magnet with me and might just find an engine that already has an aluminum plenum, then i'm just short the gasket set.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:23 AM
AtomicDog
Champion

I bought the parts myself since they met my specs. I wanted a dual 2" inlet and 3" outlet converter and the Magnaflow unit met this spec. the 3" outlet on the cat is a deviation from the stock unit, which was 2.5" outlet. I had the muffler shop cut out the old converter and weld this unit directly in its place. I have had no issue whatsoever with this setup.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:26 AM
BA_From_GA

well, just had the Tranny rebuilt. Prior owner had it done ~40k miles ago. Ends up the shop he used installed the WRONG rebuild kit for an older 46RE, reverse servo piston had cracked, overdrive bearing was shot, and it had an incorrect filter in it so the pan was just full of junk.

I'm prepping to do the plenum -- well, going to do it in Feb/March due to a very busy month of January. I'm getting a coolant smell but no drips, which makes me think a leak on the front end of the engine. I'm going to replace the timing set and water-pump when i do the plenum, because why not?

Old 12-28-2016, 09:31 AM
BA_From_GA

also -- Going to the bone-yard tomorrow to look for an intake to prep for the plenum swap -- any variations i need to watch for? 5.2/5.9 are interchangeable, right?

Old 12-28-2016, 10:08 AM
AtomicDog
Champion

Yes, there are variations on the intake. Take a photo of yours and ensure you pickup one that matches your unit. Some of the vacuum ports and locations of some of the sensors have varied. Also, some early model intakes had EGR provisions.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Get one from a 98 or newer. No EGR, no center divider, might be an extra vacuum port, but, just cap off the ones you don't need.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:24 PM
BA_From_GA

of the 7 2nd Gen Rams at the junkyard today, there was another '00 with a 5.2 that someone had pulled the front clip, so i could conveniently stand right next to the engine to pull the intake off.

Wasn't as difficult to pull as i expected, it only took me 30 minutes and I only broke 1 bolt off in the process.

I checked every single engine in hopes of finding an intake that already had an aluminum plenum, but no luck. Either way, now i can take this intake to be hot dipped, then assemble it and just do a swap out when i get around to the job.