2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stroking my 5.9 questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 07:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Those heads are for the LA engine. (previous to the magnums) so no, not what you want.

Mega Viper. But holy crap, has the price on those gone up..... Maybe check out the level 2 trans, and see if that will meet your needs.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:41 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You should really sit down and talk to the guy building your engine. Both the heads in this post and the intake in your other post are leaning towards carburetors instead of fuel injection. It can be tough to find the parts you need for these trucks without a LOT of research.
Chances are you could sit down with the engine builder and tell him what you want from the engine, and could give you a parts list to buy or just get the stuff for you himself. Either way that is a lot better than buying the wrong parts and having to try to make them work, or sending them back to get the right stuff.

If you want a good idea of what goes into a stroker build, go look at my thread (408 build, needing a second mortgage) in the general discussion/non-tech section. In the first post is a link to my cost break down. There is also a lot of great info from different people on this forum scattered through out it. There are also a couple 390 builds (318 strokers) that could help you with info too.

On another note... Another tuner to look at is Flyin' Ryan (http://www.frptuning.com, he also has a Facebook page- Flyin' Ryan Performance). Sean (hemifever) and Ryan are the only two tuners that specialize in these rigs that I know of.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:54 AM
Hemibuck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr
You should really sit down and talk to the guy building your engine. Both the heads in this post and the intake in your other post are leaning towards carburetors instead of fuel injection. It can be tough to find the parts you need for these trucks without a LOT of research.
Chances are you could sit down with the engine builder and tell him what you want from the engine, and could give you a parts list to buy or just get the stuff for you himself. Either way that is a lot better than buying the wrong parts and having to try to make them work, or sending them back to get the right stuff.

If you want a good idea of what goes into a stroker build, go look at my thread (408 build, needing a second mortgage) in the general discussion/non-tech section. In the first post is a link to my cost break down. There is also a lot of great info from different people on this forum scattered through out it. There are also a couple 390 builds (318 strokers) that could help you with info too.

On another note... Another tuner to look at is Flyin' Ryan (http://www.frptuning.com, he also has a Facebook page- Flyin' Ryan Performance). Sean (hemifever) and Ryan are the only two tuners that specialize in these rigs that I know of.
Thanks I appreciate the input. I actually talked with builder today and for me it's like my Magnum, I know you can always go bigger but I'm just looking for a good bump for my "daily". The Magnum still runs great and the power increase with the heads and cam and tune was just what I was looking for. I'm over thinking this and will just let him do the build and give me what I'm looking for, he has done this before. A good bump in power and a strong rebuilt motor is what I'm after. Plus along with the new 4.56 gears I'm sure I will be more than happy because those gears made a huge difference.

And if not I have a back up for more power. I'm pretty lucky that I can go hop in the Hellcat when the snow melts. I just tend to focus on the truck in the winter because it's my main ride now.

Oh and also I spoke with Sean at Hemifever. He tuned my Durango and will be tuning the Ram. He does good work despite what has been said about him on this forum.

Thanks again!

Old 12-18-2016, 09:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hemibuck
Thanks I appreciate the input. I actually talked with builder today and for me it's like my Magnum, I know you can always go bigger but I'm just looking for a good bump for my "daily". The Magnum still runs great and the power increase with the heads and cam and tune was just what I was looking for. I'm over thinking this and will just let him do the build and give me what I'm looking for, he has done this before. A good bump in power and a strong rebuilt motor is what I'm after. Plus along with the new 4.56 gears I'm sure I will be more than happy because those gears made a huge difference.

And if not I have a back up for more power. I'm pretty lucky that I can go hop in the Hellcat when the snow melts. I just tend to focus on the truck in the winter because it's my main ride now.

Oh and also I spoke with Sean at Hemifever. He tuned my Durango and will be tuning the Ram. He does good work despite what has been said about him on this forum.

Thanks again!
When you do the volume of work that Hemifever does, you are bound to end up with folks that think they had a 'bad' experience...... Just goes with the territory.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:01 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
When you do the volume of work that Hemifever does, you are bound to end up with folks that think they had a 'bad' experience...... Just goes with the territory.
And you typically only hear from those with complaints... the larger number of happy campers are busy out there driving their trucks, instead of on a forum complaining.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:47 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would be curious who your builder is in Spokane. Just for some good info, because you're happy with him. Just to add to my bank of knowledge...

Old 12-18-2016, 09:20 PM
kraven
Rookie

You can probably do just fine modding the 5.9 and not stroking it. The stock configuration sucks something awful. The cam is tiny. The valve springs are awful and weak. The heads themselves, as mentioned, suck due to construction and lack of resilience but they're also subpar for flow characteristics.

IMO, the stroker is just a great way to throw away 2 or 3 grand. If you want mondo torque from a SBM, that's the way to go. But for a truck you just want to have a boost in power and torque, it's really not requisite, imo.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:45 AM
Hemibuck
Veteran

Originally Posted by dbbd1
I would be curious who your builder is in Spokane. Just for some good info, because you're happy with him. Just to add to my bank of knowledge...
He works for Advanced Auto Fabrication here in Spokane.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:52 AM
Hemibuck
Veteran

Originally Posted by kraven
You can probably do just fine modding the 5.9 and not stroking it. The stock configuration sucks something awful. The cam is tiny. The valve springs are awful and weak. The heads themselves, as mentioned, suck due to construction and lack of resilience but they're also subpar for flow characteristics.

IMO, the stroker is just a great way to throw away 2 or 3 grand. If you want mondo torque from a SBM, that's the way to go. But for a truck you just want to have a boost in power and torque, it's really not requisite, imo.
So you think just rebuilding it with new heads a cam and tune would net me the gain I'm looking for? And what is a SBM? That's not an acronym I'm familiar with. I'm still open for suggestions as it hasn't been done yet. That's all I did on my Magnum and it was a nice bump in power.

What would you do? What are the common gains made with heads and a cam compared to a stroker. Keep in mind I want this to still be reliable. Thanks for your input.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

SBM= Small Block Mopar

Heads, cam, headers, better air filter, possibly intake manifold, and you can get some nice gains. (and don't forget the tune to go with it....)