2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stroking my 5.9 questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 11:36 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 339 Likes on 320 Posts

SBM = Small Block Mopar

Based upon what you are looking for out of this truck, new heads, cam, double roller timing chain set, headers, etc. - with an eye towards reliability would likely make you very happy.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:53 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^what is the consensus about the HS rollers too?

(Just trying to make myself sound useful...)

Old 12-21-2016, 12:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbd1
^what is the consensus about the HS rollers too?

(Just trying to make myself sound useful...)
If doing a cam, I would say adding the 1.6 full rollers would be a good plan, if not doing the cam, the 1.7 full rollers add 10hp/tq all by themselves.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:32 PM
Hemibuck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
SBM = Small Block Mopar

Based upon what you are looking for out of this truck, new heads, cam, double roller timing chain set, headers, etc. - with an eye towards reliability would likely make you very happy.
Ok I will talk with my builder about going this route. What is the double roller timing chain as compared to our regular timing chain.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:43 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 339 Likes on 320 Posts

A double roller timing chain is essentially two rows of timing chain made together. It is used with matching double row cam and crank gears made of regular steel or billet steel. These types of chain sets are made to minimize the chain stretching over time and thereby throwing off engine timing.

To ensure rock solid timing for the foreseeable future, I also use a timing chain tensioner - see this link below for an example. I installed the tensioner a while back when I swapped out my timing chain for a good double roller unit and my timing has stayed rock solid.

https://www.monicattichrysler.com/co...idProduct=1296

Old 12-21-2016, 09:25 PM
Hemibuck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
A double roller timing chain is essentially two rows of timing chain made together. It is used with matching double row cam and crank gears made of regular steel or billet steel. These types of chain sets are made to minimize the chain stretching over time and thereby throwing off engine timing.

To ensure rock solid timing for the foreseeable future, I also use a timing chain tensioner - see this link below for an example. I installed the tensioner a while back when I swapped out my timing chain for a good double roller unit and my timing has stayed rock solid.

https://www.monicattichrysler.com/co...idProduct=1296
Ok thanks. I will talk with my builder about it.