2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Roller rockers, "too compressed"

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017 | 02:57 AM
beeker
Captain

Originally Posted by dbbd1
Aren't the pushrods hardened? And wouldn't you need a jam nut (or red locative)?
His pushrods are not hardened, okay as long as he's under 300lbs spring pressure. Not sure what kind of spring pressure his mopar springs have? His cam specs say not to use stock springs though, hopefully those springs were recommended by comp cams. Just some things to think about since you are in there and ordering parts.

Old 01-10-2017 | 03:20 PM
nicraage
|
Professional

Originally Posted by beeker
I have similar setup, same 1.7 HS adjustable rockers, Odessa heads, and a cam designed with 1.7 rockers in mind since I already upgraded rockers to 1.7 b4 deciding to upgrade cam. For reference my comp cams hardened pushrods are 6.9 inches. Curious what is causing your issue, I'm thinking the combination of cam and 1.7 rockers may be to blame, usually you want to stick with 1.6 ratio rockers and let the cam do the lifting. Did you tell your cam supplier you had the larger 1.7 rockers? I used an adjustable pushrod length checker b4 ordering my pushrods. Good luck my friend.
I imagine it is the combo. I had changed the cam and components a while back, and didn't go with a very aggressive cam. I was going to install a hughes airgap, so I grabbed some roller rockers while I was having that done, and dropped them in my mechanics lap. There wasn't much planning.

Old 01-10-2017 | 03:26 PM
nicraage
|
Professional

Originally Posted by beeker
His pushrods are not hardened, okay as long as he's under 300lbs spring pressure. Not sure what kind of spring pressure his mopar springs have? His cam specs say not to use stock springs though, hopefully those springs were recommended by comp cams. Just some things to think about since you are in there and ordering parts.
The springs were recommended, but I don't recall by whom. I haven't been able to find a # for spring pressure, but they are made for performance upgrades and I believe people use those springs with stroker cams as well.

I will make sure I order hardened push rods once I get the right measurement.