2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Roller rockers, "too compressed"

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016 | 08:44 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
...The pushrods he has are 6.931 inches long. If he can't adjust the rockers to allow for the valves to open and close properly, he will need shorter pushrods. If the engine block was decked or the cylinder heads shaved (or both), this could likely have caused this issue. Might want to measure the length of those pushrods to ensure that the length is accurate. You possibly may have been given the wrong length pushrods in that box.
I think 6.915" is the stock length...

Old 12-28-2016 | 09:13 PM
nicraage
|
Professional

Originally Posted by Adobedude
You need to get your truck the F out of there ASAP and take it to someone whom knows what they are doing, you have to measure for pushrods...Did Juan do that?
ok. find another mechanic for me in Honduras who is better than him.
His name is Raphael, btw. And he's a master at more trades in the shop than most Americans I've ever met.

Old 12-28-2016 | 09:15 PM
nicraage
|
Professional

Originally Posted by Spillage
That cam has valve lift of .480" with stock 1.6 rockers... with 1.7's you're at .512" valve lift.
Will those valve springs handle that much lift?
Do you need deeper pockets or beehive springs?
I don't know. This is well above my knowledge base.

Old 12-28-2016 | 09:17 PM
nicraage
|
Professional

He needs someone who knows what he is doing, but those springs are good for .525 lift.

But....Springs and valves are only part of the equation. The reason for the lift limit is generally spring retainer to valve guide interference and coil bind, Magnum heads are limited because "truck motors".

I don't know what the limits of stock Magnum heads are, first mod I did was throw em in the trash.
I don't have stock heads. I have aftermarket new odessa heads/ clearwahter cylinder.

Old 12-29-2016 | 09:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by nicraage
I don't have stock heads. I have aftermarket new odessa heads/ clearwahter cylinder.
If they were just the 'stock replacements', (new castings or not) then they have the same limitations as stock.

Can you take a pic of your rockers, and post it up? The roller fellers come in two different flavors, adjustable, and non-adjustable. Really need to know which variety you have.

Old 12-29-2016 | 02:21 PM
nicraage
|
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If they were just the 'stock replacements', (new castings or not) then they have the same limitations as stock.

Can you take a pic of your rockers, and post it up? The roller fellers come in two different flavors, adjustable, and non-adjustable. Really need to know which variety you have.

I will swing by on my way home from work for the photo.

Old 12-29-2016 | 06:29 PM
nicraage
|
Professional
Old 12-29-2016 | 07:22 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Well I hate to be the barer of bad news but you need to take the intake off to adjust the rockers. The way I was taught to do it is to adjust them until you feel resistance in the push rod. You want to spin the push rods between your fingers. Once you feel resistance you then turn the adjuster 1/4 to 1/2 turn to preload the lifters. I have the instructions out in my garage I will go out there in the morning and find them. Then I'll scan them for you. PM me your email address.

Old 12-29-2016 | 08:32 PM
nicraage
|
Professional

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Well I hate to be the barer of bad news but you need to take the intake off to adjust the rockers. The way I was taught to do it is to adjust them until you feel resistance in the push rod. You want to spin the push rods between your fingers. Once you feel resistance you then turn the adjuster 1/4 to 1/2 turn to preload the lifters. I have the instructions out in my garage I will go out there in the morning and find them. Then I'll scan them for you. PM me your email address.

I appreciate that. But I think the pushrods are too long. My mechanic said he can't adjust the enough to close the valves.

Old 12-29-2016 | 08:34 PM
nicraage
|
Professional

He needs someone who knows what he is doing, but those springs are good for .525 lift.

But....Springs and valves are only part of the equation. The reason for the lift limit is generally spring retainer to valve guide interference and coil bind, Magnum heads are limited because "truck motors".

I don't know what the limits of stock Magnum heads are, first mod I did was throw em in the trash.
Sorry I lost my $hit with your comment, before. I should have explained I am in central america. I do appreciate the feedback, and knowledge, btw.