2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

newbi bought a truck from a tweeker

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 11:39 PM
brian102
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteSnake91
I hope everything is ok. I spent more money than the car was even worth trying to fix an 01 nissan sentra up(~189k), getting any kind of support in forums for that crap car is a dead end, maybe nobody has them anymore or nobody talks about them but I had absolutely zero help trying to fix it, ended up being the engine was fried I'm guessing since literally nothing could fix its misfire, car got maybe....5mpg and it was a 4 cylinder,lmao.....and had 4 o2 sensors, even a mechanic said that was dumb as hell. Second was an 01 mustang(244k,yikes) which I actually liked, v6 true dual exhaust, but it kept dying on me and almost caused me to die, luckily it didnt die all the way in the highway, just a little into the bike lane, but it almost got me hit by an 18 wheeler one time leaving my friend's, so I got rid of it after spending alot trying to fix it up, got my 01 3.9 ram(154k) which was very reliable, I stupidly traded it for a 5.0 v8 92 firebird(128k) that ended up needing alot of work...still needs a valve cover gasket on the passenger side which will be hell due to all the hoses and smog crap in the way, 4 new tires, and probably a new starter as it takes a bit for it to actually start....besides that I think I've replaced about every sensor and major tuneup part besides a whole new engine and trans on it....but it has a stupid parasitic drain which will kill the battery if it sits for awhile, maybe some fuse is bad idk....saved up a bit and got my 95 ram(224k) cheap back in may and it's been pretty good, had a spark plug break off when doing a tuneup which took 3 days and made me feel like I was dying doing it sore out in this intense tx heat and humidity lol...

that's a long string of mostly bad luck... i'm sure i'll be ok, just the rage of the moment lol...

think I need a totally new k&n or spectre filter, or hell I may go with an AFE or AEM dryflow filter that doesn't even need to be oiled, cuz, I cleaned my K&N good yesterday and reoiled and it must be old, specs of rust on the chrome tip, and it didn't return to its red color the ads claim it will, think it's just super old and worn out, the metal mesh covering the outside is dented and paint chipped in several spots, it's for sure clean though, water clear after cleaning it.....online some people said they would just oil em with wd40 or trans fluid, one guy said he used some kinda fluid cut up 50/50 w/ wd40 lolol....not sure I'd do that
the red coming back is only if you use the special "k&n" filter oil... you could probly use tranny fluid and get the same effect lol...
Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I own 3 new vehicles and I only buy Mopar. I like fixing them up. I have an 01 Ram 2500 Diesel (kit made it a 96 1500 with a diesel I swapped it for a gasser). Overall reliable. Haven't had an issue where it left me stranded. I tow my 68 charger with it. I usually wear leather gloves and my thick wedding jacket and completely gut the interior. Carpert (good time to clean it while it's out), door panels, seats, insulation under the carpet, and glove box out (good time to add insulation/sound dendening/or heat shield or all of the above lol.then if needed I'll replace the carpet. I ordered new leather seat covers that replace the oem ones from katzkin. Just don't get to drawn away from it. Not the poor girls fault she was abused. I posted a pic of my rig in case you were curious lol pics is when I was replacing all the ball joints. HeyYou helped me a lot even buying axles from him to make it a 2500 again
that's a damn good idea right there!
she seems happier since i've had her... got her new shiny sport headlights installed... WOW what a difference in light output and it just looks right.
i was hoping you two could work something out and get those axles... i'm STILL waiting for my dodgeoffroad shackle flip a month later...
Originally Posted by WhiteSnake91
I'll add in general I've had very good luck buying older 90s trucks, usually if they're still running all these years later it'll generally get you from A to B reliably. Still kick myself for trading my 01 ram, it didn't have very many miles considering its age, yea it was "only" a v6 but it was reliable. Just absolutely horrible luck with used cars from people. I don't think I'd ever get another nissan no matter what people say about them being reliable, I heard they've gone really downhill from several experienced people in the auto industry.
nissan "cars", toyota "cars", and honda have all gone down hill... they still have a few good products here and there, but quality is slipping and there have been some **** poor design decisions.
Honestly I'll probably keep my 95 5.2 ram forever unless I find a good deal on a somewhat cheap extended cab short bed 2nd gen ram, these engines are known to last a real long time, trans is a weak point but can be rebuilt pretty beefed up without costing a fortune, then you're essentially set.
i agree, other than fuel economy, steering and the auto trannys i've never heard anything bad about these trucks.
All I've done to the 95 ram is new oil and oil filter, cleaned K&N air filter, 4 used decent tires, inspection sticker, and tuneup....it probably will need a new waterpump though if a new thermostat doesn't fix my weird intermittent coolant loss issue.

I was shocked when I saw how bad the old plugs, wires, and el cheapo aluminum cap and rotor looked when I pulled em, you'd never have figured with how well the truck got me from A to B reliably. I'll always appreciate and have a fond spot in my heart for these 2nd gen rams, usually if they're still running and driving ok all these years later, people have taken somewhat good care of them :P

edit: One good thing over the ~2 years of problems I had is I learned a hell of a lot, I came from literally knowing nothing about vehicles to knowing more than probably 90% of the population, that's something to be proud of at least out of the junkie car problems lol.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:13 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by brian102
that's a damn good idea right there!
she seems happier since i've had her... got her new shiny sport headlights installed... WOW what a difference in light output and it just looks right.
i was hoping you two could work something out and get those axles... i'm STILL waiting for my dodgeoffroad shackle flip a month later...
Won't support dodgeoffroad as they don't support veterans. That's what made me start my own business

Old 10-19-2017, 11:43 PM
brian102
Professional

product page says 5-10 days, this was the response i got after waiting 20 days.

"The suggested days on the website are not a guarantee. Customer agrees to that at the end of the transaction. We are working daily on shackle flip orders because we were unable to complete them for a long time due to waiting on parts from a local machine shop. I will move your order up on the list but I will still more than likely be next week before it ships. I do apologize. "

i can get custom 6" lift springs for $800 from canada 6 hours from home... probly pick them up tomorrow if i ordered today. ordered the shackle flip instead, because it's supposed to be a great upgrade. don't know who the supplier is that is constantly [based on other reviews around the internet] holding up the show, but i would replace them if they were causing shipments to be delayed this badly. it's like they are intentionally running out the clock on buyer protections. too bad really... there was at least another $1500 worth of stuff i was planning to buy, not going to happen now.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:34 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

product page says 5-10 days, this was the response i got after waiting 20 days.

"The suggested days on the website are not a guarantee. Customer agrees to that at the end of the transaction. We are working daily on shackle flip orders because we were unable to complete them for a long time due to waiting on parts from a local machine shop. I will move your order up on the list but I will still more than likely be next week before it ships. I do apologize. "

i can get custom 6" lift springs for $800 from canada 6 hours from home... probly pick them up tomorrow if i ordered today. ordered the shackle flip instead, because it's supposed to be a great upgrade. don't know who the supplier is that is constantly [based on other reviews around the internet] holding up the show, but i would replace them if they were causing shipments to be delayed this badly. it's like they are intentionally running out the clock on buyer protections. too bad really... there was at least another $1500 worth of stuff i was planning to buy, not going to happen now.
They are a joke company. They don't care about the customers. They don't support veterans and they treated me like dog crap when I contacted them. Will NEVER recommend them.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:40 PM
WhiteSnake91
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hadn't started my truck in a couple days, I guess the new tuneup helped alot, started almost instantly when I went to town earlier. With how bad that other plug was I was only using 7 cylinders the past 5 months too lol....

Sucky companies are horrible, if they're taking too long and if you can get it cheaper with somebody else, try to get a refund lol :P

Old 10-21-2017, 12:49 AM
brian102
Professional

shipped today would rather not needed to be an *** to accomplish it, but mission complete. told them i wanted a tracking number or a refund, but not waiting anymore.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:10 AM
WhiteSnake91
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shipped today would rather not needed to be an *** to accomplish it, but mission complete. told them i wanted a tracking number or a refund, but not waiting anymore.
LMAO! That's one way to do it

Old 10-28-2017, 12:51 AM
brian102
Professional

kit arrived today and it's awesome. welds are perfect, finish is excellent, hardware is top grade with nylocks. only thing i found to pick at, and it's really not a big deal, was the edges of the zero rates aren't rounded where they contact the spring. not an expert, but i've been told sharp edges and springs dont mix... that said 5 seconds with a sander and problem solved. if those guys ever manage to get their supplier issues ironed out and could actually commit to a reasonable processing time [like 2 weeks max], they should be set. even the packaging was meticulous and professional. kinda wish i had done an unboxing video, but it's been one of those days.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:46 AM
brian102
Professional

quick wall of text update...

the shackle flip... wrong hardware had to drill springs, burned up my cobalts, but got er done... decided to ditch the blocks, all i needed was shorter ubolts.
also new fox non res shox to complete the rear

trac bar... not installed yet, but got the spohn bar.

just about everything on the front end was shot... soooo
new ball joints
new driver side axle [old one showed signs of a previous ujoint failure and was quickly approaching another].
new brakes, all raybestos top line stuff + 2500 calipers
new sway bar links and sway bar bushings
skyjacker d30's [i figure if they're too short, everyone makes spacers]
fox 985-24-021 res shox
all new moog steering
new timken wheel bearings
new spicer ujoint for the passenger side
new steering box and pitman

got a decent deal on new door seals so i ordered those... the harbor freight ball joint tool is NOT a pos that will bend the moment pressure is applied... interior is done, but i'm still dealing with random audio issues, channels cutting out, one day the fronts work, next day the rears work. once i had all of them working. i think the head unit may be bad, i had issues with it in another rig. i settled on 35" toyo mud's, they're going to happen and damn the consequences... still debating a 4th gen bumper. for some reason they cut off the connector for the power door lock on the passenger door and tried to use spade connectors as a repair. i'm sure i missed something.

kinda want tow mirrors since i'm a trucker... i love the view from my tractor, but some people really seem to get upset seeing them up or attached to a half ton. not sure why it matters if it's not your rig? not a priority at the moment, i think i can live with the stockers and a fish eye... need to stop hemorrhaging cash for a few...

Last edited by brian102; 01-17-2018 at 12:55 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:20 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

quick wall of text update...

the shackle flip... wrong hardware had to drill springs, burned up my cobalts, but got er done... decided to ditch the blocks, all i needed was shorter ubolts.
also new fox non res shox to complete the rear

trac bar... not installed yet, but got the spohn bar.

just about everything on the front end was shot... soooo
new ball joints
new driver side axle [old one showed signs of a previous ujoint failure and was quickly approaching another].
new brakes, all raybestos top line stuff + 2500 calipers
new sway bar links and sway bar bushings
skyjacker d30's [i figure if they're too short, everyone makes spacers]
fox 985-24-021 res shox
all new moog steering
new timken wheel bearings
new spicer ujoint for the passenger side
new steering box and pitman

got a decent deal on new door seals so i ordered those... the harbor freight ball joint tool is NOT a pos that will bend the moment pressure is applied... interior is done, but i'm still dealing with random audio issues, channels cutting out, one day the fronts work, next day the rears work. once i had all of them working. i think the head unit may be bad, i had issues with it in another rig. i settled on 35" toyo mud's, they're going to happen and damn the consequences... still debating a 4th gen bumper. for some reason they cut off the connector for the power door lock on the passenger door and tried to use spade connectors as a repair. i'm sure i missed something.

kinda want tow mirrors since i'm a trucker... i love the view from my tractor, but some people really seem to get upset seeing them up or attached to a half ton. not sure why it matters if it's not your rig? not a priority at the moment, i think i can live with the stockers and a fish eye... need to stop hemorrhaging cash for a few...
I have 35s Toyo Mud, 4th gen bumper and 4th gen tow mirrors