2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

newbi bought a truck from a tweeker

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 06:27 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw something like that on the red green show one time

Old 01-05-2017, 02:30 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Scary looking setup on the truck's rear end for sure!

On the front end, was a kit installed to allow for the extra shock?

Old 01-05-2017, 10:37 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

http://diy4x.com/product.php?product...cat=250&page=3
Should be a link to a shackle flip kit.

Please don't drive it like that. Get a flip kit and shorter blocks. Maybe check into some new springs from Atlas http://atlassuspension.com or BD.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:24 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The factory blocks have an arm poking out to hit the bump stop that also keeps them from scooting off the axle. I was thinking that they were a useless limit strap at first but I bet that the blocks shifted at one point since they don't have that bit poking out of them.

I dug through some old pictures and found a few.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:08 PM
brian102
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hemibuck
Take all the money you saved from the tweaker deal and take it to your local shop and have them put a new lift kit on. Then enjoy your great deal. FYI make sure you look everywhere for used needles and have the interior cleaned up good.
i searched for pokey bits before getting in it ... i am thinking just doing a fresh lift is my best bet.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ok, spacers up front, and a cluster fark out back..... It looks like the bump stops were moved on the frame, and now contact the spring forward of the axle?

I would be REAL tempted to replace the rear springs with some appropriate lift springs, dump the blocks completely, and maybe do a shackle flip if you need more lift..... Either that, or just pick up a real lift kit, and replace EVERYTHING under there.... That mess does not bode well for the quality of any of the other work on the truck........
we think alike

Originally Posted by nicraage
from the last picture, to me, it looks like there is no bolt connecting the leafs together, and the straps were put on to do that.
you have a good eye, i met with him yesterday at dmv to get the title transferred and that is exactly why he did it... he welded the diff and was tearing the springs/ubolts apart daily driving it on pavement.

did i mention i need a new ls or locker?

Old 01-07-2017, 10:18 PM
brian102
Professional

Originally Posted by racefan41
I saw something like that on the red green show one time
lol, it's definitely creative...

Originally Posted by 1997JollyGreenGiant
Scary looking setup on the truck's rear end for sure!

On the front end, was a kit installed to allow for the extra shock?
i was hoping someone might recognize the kit that was used, but i am starting to think it's a homebrew kit.

Originally Posted by 2bit
http://diy4x.com/product.php?product...cat=250&page=3
Should be a link to a shackle flip kit.

Please don't drive it like that. Get a flip kit and shorter blocks. Maybe check into some new springs from Atlas http://atlassuspension.com or BD.
i drove it just long enough to get it away from where i bought it. it will remain parked until i'm ready to overhaul it. steering box is shot too, it was VERY spooky driving it the 2 miles i did. it was also the middle of nowhere and late at night, i wouldn't have driven it even 2 miles if others had been around.

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
The factory blocks have an arm poking out to hit the bump stop that also keeps them from scooting off the axle. I was thinking that they were a useless limit strap at first but I bet that the blocks shifted at one point since they don't have that bit poking out of them.

I dug through some old pictures and found a few.
thank you very much, exactly what i was looking for!

Old 01-07-2017, 11:38 PM
brian102
Professional

anyone have a suggestion for a good spring lift kit? i would really like to get rid of the blocks and spacers... pretty sure the rear springs are toast or need rebuilt from talking to the dude about it. besides it would have the added bonus of actually knowing what i have and what shocks to order, little things like that lol.

i like the height it's at now. looks like stock leafs plus 5.5 or 6" blocks. i didn't measure the spacer on the coils though.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Stock blocks are 3", so, you may only have like a 3" total lift there. What size tires are on it?

Check out Top Guns Customz, they carry a variety of lift kits... Find a manufacturer you like, and chat directly with them for what you want on the rear.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:03 PM
brian102
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Stock blocks are 3", so, you may only have like a 3" total lift there. What size tires are on it?

Check out Top Guns Customz, they carry a variety of lift kits... Find a manufacturer you like, and chat directly with them for what you want on the rear.
it's got 35\12.5\15's.

though as it sits, it's got one thats so bald it looks like a 31 lol

Old 01-08-2017, 02:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by brian102
it's got 35\12.5\15's.

though as it sits, it's got one thats so bald it looks like a 31 lol
Any idea what gears it has in it? Might consider going with like a 3" lift, going to 33" tires, and being a little easier on the trans, with what is likely 3.55 gears.