newbi bought a truck from a tweeker - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page > newbi bought a truck from a tweeker
Notices
2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

newbi bought a truck from a tweeker

Reply

 
 
  #1  
Old 01-02-2017, 11:45 PM
brian102
brian102 is online now
Professional
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: vancouver, wa
Posts: 137
Default newbi bought a truck from a tweeker

hello all,
i bought a truck from a tweeker. i'm also a new member. got it for $800 and it runs like a champ, tranny and tcase are new/rebuilt...

that said, it has a lift on it i cant identify and there is some crazy stuff going on in the back. i dont have any pictures on me that i can post.

the thing has huge lift blocks in the back, about 6". the u bolts look like they were put on upside down and there are about 10 ratchet straps wrapped around the block and ubolts + a c-clamp?!? on the drivers side... then the same thing on the passenger side, plus a strap tying all that mess to the frame. [i know you all are really curious now, i promise to post pictures asap]

it's gonna take a bit of patience and work to unravel the mess i bought, but it should be well worth it in the end.

i was wondering if y'all could point me in the direction of some clear pictures of how the rear is supposed to look? i could really use some clear pictures in the area around the u bolts, which end is up, factory lift block. that would get me off to a great start untangling this mess.
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-03-2017, 11:18 AM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 46,129
Default

Some folks will flip the u-bolts to get a bit better clearance under the axle. After all, you don't want those stubs sticking out getting hung up on rocks, or whathaveyou, and ripping stuff off. Probably not really an issue there. (but, pics will certainly help with that observation.)

The trucks come stock with 3" blocks between spring, and axle. Not my favorite design, but, it is what it is.

If things are held together with ratchet straps, and clamps, I would NOT drive it, until you get that sorted out...... That sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

You can download a service manual for your truck from here. (grab the 98 version, as it is closer to your truck than the 00-01 manual will be.) There are illustrations of how things SHOULD look.

Welcome to DF! Put up some pics when ya can.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-03-2017, 03:43 PM
nicraage
nicraage is offline
Professional
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 226
Default

Originally Posted by brian102 View Post
hello all,
i bought a truck from a tweeker. i'm also a new member. got it for $800 and it runs like a champ, tranny and tcase are new/rebuilt...

that said, it has a lift on it i cant identify and there is some crazy stuff going on in the back. i dont have any pictures on me that i can post.

the thing has huge lift blocks in the back, about 6". the u bolts look like they were put on upside down and there are about 10 ratchet straps wrapped around the block and ubolts + a c-clamp?!? on the drivers side... then the same thing on the passenger side, plus a strap tying all that mess to the frame. [i know you all are really curious now, i promise to post pictures asap]

it's gonna take a bit of patience and work to unravel the mess i bought, but it should be well worth it in the end.

i was wondering if y'all could point me in the direction of some clear pictures of how the rear is supposed to look? i could really use some clear pictures in the area around the u bolts, which end is up, factory lift block. that would get me off to a great start untangling this mess.


I agree with Hey You (he's never wrong, lol) on taking care of the strap issue before driving it. If the engine and trans are in good shape, you most likely got a great deal.
What are your plans for the truck? Is this going to be your daily driver?
Get some pics up of that rear end mess.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-04-2017, 12:55 AM
brian102
brian102 is online now
Professional
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: vancouver, wa
Posts: 137
Default

ok, here's the pictures if i did it right...
 
Attached Thumbnails newbi bought a truck from a tweeker-s1.jpg   newbi bought a truck from a tweeker-s2.jpg   newbi bought a truck from a tweeker-s3.jpg   newbi bought a truck from a tweeker-s4.jpg   newbi bought a truck from a tweeker-s5.jpg  

newbi bought a truck from a tweeker-s6.jpg   newbi bought a truck from a tweeker-s7.jpg   newbi bought a truck from a tweeker-s8.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-04-2017, 12:58 AM
dbbd1's Avatar
dbbd1
dbbd1 is offline
Record Breaker
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,552
Default

All I can say is WTF!

Maybe some kind of limiting strap? Who knows...
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-04-2017, 01:06 AM
brian102
brian102 is online now
Professional
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: vancouver, wa
Posts: 137
Default

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Some folks will flip the u-bolts to get a bit better clearance under the axle. After all, you don't want those stubs sticking out getting hung up on rocks, or whathaveyou, and ripping stuff off. Probably not really an issue there. (but, pics will certainly help with that observation.)

The trucks come stock with 3" blocks between spring, and axle. Not my favorite design, but, it is what it is.

If things are held together with ratchet straps, and clamps, I would NOT drive it, until you get that sorted out...... That sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

You can download a service manual for your truck from here. (grab the 98 version, as it is closer to your truck than the 00-01 manual will be.) There are illustrations of how things SHOULD look.

Welcome to DF! Put up some pics when ya can.
thank you very much, off to a great start i appreciate it! pictures are up, can't wait for the responses...

Originally Posted by nicraage View Post
I agree with Hey You (he's never wrong, lol) on taking care of the strap issue before driving it. If the engine and trans are in good shape, you most likely got a great deal.
What are your plans for the truck? Is this going to be your daily driver?
Get some pics up of that rear end mess.
i would like for it to be my daily... feels like forever since i last had a truck and this is my first 4x4 truck... not that i ever hesitated 4x4 my 2x4's lol. i had a 2011 wrangler i had to let go, been pretty bummed out since, but house is more important than toy's... giving it another go minus the $300 month payment. i guess, like my jeep, it won't be a mall crawler, but i'm also not going to bash it against rocks. at least not intentionally.
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-04-2017, 01:13 AM
brian102
brian102 is online now
Professional
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: vancouver, wa
Posts: 137
Default

Originally Posted by dbbd1 View Post
All I can say is WTF!

Maybe some kind of limiting strap? Who knows...
if i had to guess, i would say he didn't do something right putting it together and spit out one or both of the blocks at some point. i personally don't like anything bigger than a 4" block and prefer no blocks, just leafs and maybe shackles.
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-04-2017, 11:40 AM
Hemibuck's Avatar
Hemibuck
Hemibuck is offline
Veteran
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 327
Default

Take all the money you saved from the tweaker deal and take it to your local shop and have them put a new lift kit on. Then enjoy your great deal. FYI make sure you look everywhere for used needles and have the interior cleaned up good.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-04-2017, 11:44 AM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 46,129
Default

Ok, spacers up front, and a cluster fark out back..... It looks like the bump stops were moved on the frame, and now contact the spring forward of the axle?

I would be REAL tempted to replace the rear springs with some appropriate lift springs, dump the blocks completely, and maybe do a shackle flip if you need more lift..... Either that, or just pick up a real lift kit, and replace EVERYTHING under there.... That mess does not bode well for the quality of any of the other work on the truck........
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-04-2017, 12:47 PM
nicraage
nicraage is offline
Professional
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 226
Default

from the last picture, to me, it looks like there is no bolt connecting the leafs together, and the straps were put on to do that.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Featured Sponsors

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:07 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: