2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How do you fix a dash like this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 08:56 PM
ram-tuff
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you fix a dash like this?

How do you fix a dash like this? I need help. I tried super glue. I tried JB Weld. It just keeps coming apart.

Do you think I could just take the dash out, work from the inside(or outside) and just build/stack fiberglass over it? If from the inside, I assume you would only see a tiny crack, but if from the outside I would have to sand it and paint.

Thoughts?

Name:  20170116_152200.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  1.96 MB

Name:  20170116_152154.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  2.31 MB

Name:  20170116_152143.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  1.53 MB

Name:  20170116_152138.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  1.80 MB

Old 01-17-2017, 09:23 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the hard plastic parts, the bezel...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Blend to make your color of gray. Or buy new from LMC Truck.

The softer parts? God luck...

Old 01-17-2017, 11:15 PM
garrycarton

Yeah, I also think same as OP has suggested already. If you don't wanna change this parts you should try with grey color. This will suit best.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:02 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker

They also make a gel epoxy specifically for plastics (JB weld is more "universal"), but I have only seen it in an off-white color.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:53 AM
ram-tuff
Professional

Originally Posted by dbbd1
For the hard plastic parts, the bezel...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Blend to make your color of gray. Or buy new from LMC Truck.

The softer parts? God luck...

Everything that is cracked is hard plastic. Whole dash is hard plastic, don't have any soft parts. That video on the sugru looked promising. Have you used that stuff before? How would you blend that to your color? And I wonder, would I put that on the back side of the dash so its not seen? I wonder if I would put it in the cracks as well or just on the back side? I might try that stuff.

And what is the plastic gel epoxy you speak of, is that stuff better than JB Weld I assume?

Old 01-18-2017, 01:51 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker

Yes, gel expoxy for plastic will be stronger than the JB weld. By hard, I meant the plastic bezel around the dash and gauges. By soft, I meant the other parts of the dash. Those to not seem to hold as well, with anything (although, I have one small crack that seems to be okay, so far). I think that is because it is a different material and it expands and contracts more with the temperatures. You can try it though, YMMV.

Me? For the bezel, check where the cracks are vs what is on the dash behind those cracks. This way, you know how much you can build up the back side. I would try to really build up those cracked areas on the back and seal them IN the crack. I wouldn't worry about color, just excess epoxy. You don't want to have to sand (too much). Because, then I would rattle-can the whole bezel in a new-and-improved color or stock color. There are some great plastic paints out there now. I would use the gel got this.

For the rest of the dash...
Start with the truck in a warm to very warm area, you want the dash flexible, pliable, not going to break when you try to apply the sugru.
Get some black and some white sugru. Experiment with blending the two to get the right color gray for your dash. Try to flex the dash some, pushing down on one side of the crack, while prying up on the other side. Got three hands? Try to get some of your proper color sugru in, under the surface. Then do the opposite sides of prying up and down. Then apply it to the mating surfaces of the crack. Position the edges of the crack together and hold (and pray). If you get a blob or excess squeezing through, you can try to texture it to match you dash. Try a wet paper towel or coarse towel or such.

They do make a plastic epoxy 2-part putty. But you're stuck with one color. You could try the putty on the back of the bezel, but I like the way the gel is slightly more "flowable."

Old 01-18-2017, 10:29 PM
97ramrod1500
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You could get a dash from a good donor. . .

Old 01-19-2017, 06:49 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

You could get a dash from a good donor
I second that, With the amount of cracking you have after you fix it a new bunch of cracks will appear.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:49 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker

In the end, it all comes down to money.

And maybe time, to go looking.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:14 AM
nicraage
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They make dash covers that attach with adhesive, and they look almost original when done properly. I'm not talking about a carpet that you lay on top, but rather a molded cover. check ebay

This is just one random one I found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Molded-ABS-D...RYbnTG&vxp=mtr