2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A Few Odd Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 04:46 PM
Maximillio
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Few Odd Issues

So my first issue is with the instrument cluster. Sometime the Odo and Speedo don't work, sometimes they do, one or the other or both, randomly. I often run the CHCK function on it so it moves the gagues to check, and sometimes they wont function properly, but a second or third test gets them working again. I'm confused why they dont work all the time, if they work some of the time. Any suggestions?!?

My second issue is with a squeeky noise coming from engine belt/pull section im assuming. I thought it might be a rusty/unlubed bearing, so I sprayed some rust penetration on it, ran it really quick to help break anything free/losen, then I put some heavy duty silicone spray lube on them to help, and that seemed to work for a little bit but the squeek is back and I'm not sure where exactly its originating from, common location/pully?

My final issue which isnt really an issue just an odd thing, is that after I run my engine, even if its for just a couple of seconds, you can always hear it kind of pinging a little afterwards, almost like metal expansion sounds after you stop driving a car for awhile and park it, except it seems to do this even if theres been no major temp raise (like running for literally 2 seconds.) Granted its a semi-chilly 50s here where I live. Any ideas, is this an issue or foreshadowing of something?

Thanks for any help/comments in advance!

Old 01-29-2017, 09:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

If the gauges won't test reliably every time, there is a problem with the cluster. If the speedo/odo drop out randomly, but do NOT set a check engine light, that is also indicating a problem with the cluster.

For the squeak, remove the belt, and play with each pulley. Make sure they turn smoothly. (well, except the crank pulley......) Might be a bad bearing, weak tensioner, or just a worn belt.