2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No instrument cluster lights or running lights.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 06:50 PM
HeyItMeSam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No instrument cluster lights or running lights.

Okay... So i have had extreme trouble trying to get the instrument cluster lights to work on my truck. It's a 97 Dodge Ram 1500, i have no running lights or instrument cluster lights. I get check oil lights, blinker lights, everything except my gauges. I checked every fuse on the drivers side and under the hood, all fine. I even replaced all the drivers side fuses with new ones, still nothing. What makes me so mad is a few days ago i was messing with fuses, moving them around, and i got the cluster lights on. When i turned the headlight switch they shut off. I have not been able to get them back on even after new fuses. My truck is wired for trailer lights, however i never pull a trailer. They are mainly for the one time a year when we take out the boat. I am so lost on what to do. I have searched the internet far and wide and nothing seems to help. I made sure any visible cut wires were taped off so they didn't blow anything but still no. My dad said the lights had worked fine when he drove the truck a few years ago but they stopped working when he pulled the dash bezel off. He can't remember why he did it and what he was doing so i can't really say if he caused it. These are my conclusions on what might be the problem. I have very dim headlights, like i can't drive at night dim even turning on my brights it is about 1/3 of what average headlights are. I ordered new housings hoping that will fix that issue. The trailer lights, they were put in by the previous owner but the cluster lights worked before. I also have nothing connected to the cigarette lighter, like it has nothing connecting to it so it gets no power. I have looked and can't find how i'm supposed to connect that. So i doubt that is what's causing this. The only other thing is the headlight switch i hear they are notorious for going bad. I don't know how to check if it is bad. I have taken it out several times and it looks fine. However when i turn mine it doesn't change the brightness so i don't know if it's supposed to be like that or if that is a sign it's broken. I have lost my mind trying to get this fixed i really would prefer not having to pay someone an *** load of money to look at this and fix it. So if any kind soul out there can help me before i bash my head into a wall i would be so happy. Thank you
-Sam

Old 01-29-2017, 07:04 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would start with replacing the headlight switch. Go from there.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:39 AM
Kevin D. Hanning

I have the exact same issue with my gauges. i have replaced the entire cluster and still no lights. Bought used and whoever worked on it before me effed up the install of a el cheapo remote start wiring. $500 later the lights still don't work. I need to find out which of the wires in the wiring harness power those little lights so I can chase the problem back to the source. Please HELP!!!

Old 03-08-2017, 09:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin D. Hanning
I have the exact same issue with my gauges. i have replaced the entire cluster and still no lights. Bought used and whoever worked on it before me effed up the install of a el cheapo remote start wiring. $500 later the lights still don't work. I need to find out which of the wires in the wiring harness power those little lights so I can chase the problem back to the source. Please HELP!!!
You can get a service manual for your truck from here. Wiring diagrams are in section 8W. Should help find the problem.

Welcome to DF!

Old 03-08-2017, 01:04 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

^^^
X2 on replacing the headlight switch, AND its harness. Usually come as a kit. The switch will melt on the inside, and abuse issuse, and sometimes even cause the connector to melt aswell...

No instrument cluster lights or running lights.-img_3558.jpg

If yours looks even the slightest bit melted or damaged, replace it.
If that fixes the problem check out this DIY, and that will cure the melting switch problem from happening again in the future.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...s-install.html