2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rebuilding a Trans

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 02:27 PM
Sonocativo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding a Trans

In a week I am meeting up with a guy to get a ton of spare parts for my truck, all the parts came from the same year/model truck as mine. Parts are used, some in excellent shape. he kept spare parts to keep his Ram going as he lived way out in the sticks.'

Now, my question is about the trans... Mine is nearing 200K and has a little kick from time to time getting more frequent lately. He is including a trans, good but could use a rebuild. my thought is to rebuild the trans and have it ready for a swap knowing it is good and ready.
Has anyone rebuilt their trans for the Ram themselves? ( I have rebuilt Chevy 350TH and 400TH in the past ) installing shift kits and valve bodies, pumps...ect... Just wondered how the Rams trannys are as Ive never done one yet? Would you recommend a shop do it? Anything I should know that would make it better as far as any valve bodies/shift kits and Torque Converters? I'm running 35's on a lifted 99 Sport 4x4 360.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:28 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 357 Likes on 336 Posts

Look up some parts at PACT, You can bullet proof it if you want to spend the cash but you can do a nice build also. The 46re is basicly a 727 with an overdrive. It's not difficult to rebuild. You will need a press to remove the od snap rings.

https://transmissioncenter.net/product-category/dodge/

https://youtu.be/oacaJ7TARfg

Old 01-30-2017, 09:51 PM
dodgeit1999
Amateur

Also gonna need a line up tool for the OD section. I had a spare trans and cut up the OD "input shaft" to use as a line up tool. If you dont use the tool, you prolly wont be able to line the OD on straight when you install it. The 46RE is very easy to rebuild, take your time and everything in sections, one section at a time.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:53 PM
dodgeit1999
Amateur

I rebuilt my trans for about $600 that was all new steel and friction discs, electronics, torque converter and obviously gaskets and seals.

It wasnt performance parts, just a standard kit i bought from a transmission shop

Old 01-30-2017, 10:29 PM
Sonocativo
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgeit1999
I rebuilt my trans for about $600 that was all new steel and friction discs, electronics, torque converter and obviously gaskets and seals.

It wasnt performance parts, just a standard kit i bought from a transmission shop
Ive found a few Master rebuild kits $350-$600 kinda confused on what to get if I do, Heard of this "bulletproofing" but what is it?
Also this kit called Monster, supposed to be a heavy duty build ( everything included for total tear down and rebuild )
I want something that will hold up to the weight of this truck, any towing and daily driving.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:48 AM
dodgeit1999
Amateur

I dont do any towing or aggressive driving, truck is high mileage and tired lol thats why i went with a "OEM quality" componets and torque converter.

If you want my opinion, i say get some quality soft parts, spend a little extra on a better torque converter and re-work the valve body with a shift kit.

You are gonna read and recieve different peoples opinions on how to "bullet proof" the 46RE, not sure how much towing ur gonna do but a simple upgrade of the TC and VB will take care of pretty much any medium towing you may be doing a few times through out the year.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,236 Likes on 2,985 Posts

The first question here should be: "How do you use your truck." Do you tow/haul regularly? Off-Road? Just a normal commuter vehicle? From there, folks can make suggestions as to what upgrade you may want to consider.

Sonnax Sure cure is definitely a must. Gives firmer, crisper, shifts, and also allows the torque converter to charge in park. (which means, you can check fluid level in park.)

Beyond that, installing additional clutches/steels is never a bad plan.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:53 PM
Sonocativo
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The first question here should be: "How do you use your truck." Do you tow/haul regularly? Off-Road? Just a normal commuter vehicle? From there, folks can make suggestions as to what upgrade you may want to consider.

Sonnax Sure cure is definitely a must. Gives firmer, crisper, shifts, and also allows the torque converter to charge in park. (which means, you can check fluid level in park.)

Beyond that, installing additional clutches/steels is never a bad plan.
Well its sort of a tricky question...lol
I will be buying an old farm and I love my wood burner soooo, I will be lugging myself into the woods and hauling out some fuel (also making a food plot for deer and a garden area) so I will be hauling some weight and probly a trailer as well, and as time goes building materials. I may have a large camper to move around from time to time. So not really off roading but will be rough terrain through the woods and firewood isn't exactly lightweight. but getting to and from the property will be hilly winding roads til you get to the main highway to town, gas stations are a good 10+ miles out and the closest store a good 30 minutes, any major shopping will be nearly 2 hours drive.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:39 AM
brian102
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can only give you my personal perspective. i would stick with a stock rebuild using the best quality kit i could get, do the vb kit heyyou mentioned cause checking fluid in park is worth it alone, and replace any plastic with an upgraded aluminum or steel part where available. just make sure you get quality parts and keep it cool. the billet buck rodgers stuff is cool, but do you really need a $1300 custom piece in your tranny to be happy? how long has your stock tranny lasted? i mean if you're going through trannys every 30k and have a tranny cooler bigger than your radiator, then the $1300 billet pieces are worth it, but if stock is getting you 150k, then stay stock with a few cheap upgrades.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:56 AM
Sonocativo
Professional

This truck does have an added tranny cooler on it, it goes throught the regular cooler built into the radiator then goes into another cooler mounted in front of the radiator then back to the trans ( previous owners used to pull a massive camper.