2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine bay cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 10:47 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine bay cleaning

So this may be weird, and it if for me as I normally let the dust collect where it sits in the engine bay, but my 94 is friggin caked. It's got about 140 thousand miles on her, and for about half of that I guess the valve covers were leaking. On top of some leaky valve covers, my grandpa is a farmer, you can see where I'm going, gravel roads. And it is just caked like no other. I've seen some pretty nasty 1950s mower engines, and this is worse. Between the valve covers and the intake, I guess you could call it The Valley, not very good with the technical jargon, but anyway, I got about a quarter inch deep collection of soot, or filth.

Now I ain't looking for it to be a show engine, but I want it clean enough to where I can work on it. Clean enough to where I can fix something, without the first tool I use is the brake clean, if you get me.

I want to degrease and clean as much as possible, and plan on using the garden hose, but what to avoid? I know to put a bag over the cap and rotor, is there anything else I should know to avoid? (Don't have a air compressor, just a shop vac and some hose water). Any suggestions on good degreasers you have used?

Any help appreciated, as up next is timing chain and water pump. Thanks!

Old 02-03-2017, 10:52 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Oh just remembered, the pcm, and alternator, and battery need covered too. Am I missing anything else?

Old 02-03-2017, 10:52 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Cover Alternator, fuse box and any other sensitive electronics with plastic bags. Spray degreaser on a warm engine and let it sit for about ten minutes. Scrub brush anywhere you desire, then hose off. If you have leaf blower, blow it off. Drive soon after to dry it.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:03 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Put some spark plug grease on the plugs or pull the heat shield cups around them. I have had many issues with that.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:05 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Rent a pressure washer! It will clean the crud way better than a spray cleaner and a garden hose. You can also use them at some car washes but make sure you don't spray the sensitive stuff (cover it).

Old 02-04-2017, 12:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Careful with the pressure washer, it has the ability to push water right thru weak gaskets.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:14 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

That's what I don't like. I've never been a fan I feel pressure washers, even on washing the body. I just go by the rule, if you can't stick your hand in front of it, don't use it.

If it's in the 40s tomorrow I'm going to do it. I'll post some pictures if i do.
Thanks for the help!

Old 02-05-2017, 12:44 AM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if it's that bad, I would get in there with flathead screwdrivers, putty knife, and whatever other tools to get as much of the buildup off before you sprayed anything on it. I've heard good things about Zep degreaser products, but personally never used them. any brand would probably work alright even if you have to do it a couple/few times.