2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Low idle issues. 01 ram 1500 w/the 5.9

Old 02-10-2017, 12:51 AM
Sarah Hawley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low idle issues. 01 ram 1500 w/the 5.9

Sooo.. I need some input here. Having low idle isues with my dodge. Initially I was having loss of power issues. Replaced old battery, replaced alt. Ran good for a few. Blew my belt. So replaced belt, in the process discover my timing pully and water pump bearing where going/gone, so replaced them. Ran fine for about a week. Now, have to give it gas to start 9/10 times. Have to keep gas on to maintain idle. If I let of it barely idles, but will maintain once warmed up with slight surging between 900-1100rmp. Lights dim then go normal blah blah. While driving, if I let off the gas, same issue, or dies if I let off abruptly. Upon acceleration at higher rpms, I can here a whisling sound from engine bay. I'm at a complete loss at this point. . . Last year, I had kinda the same issue with idle, changed idle sensor, and seamed to fix it. . .

​​​ I have put wayyyy to much money into this 2nd Gen to pay someone
too look at it for me. More than she's worth... please please any suggestions? ? Oh if it makes a difference I do have that dreaded evap engine code. But been like that since day one. (Cats have been removed) too busy fixing everything else. .. I have more issues to ask about later, with my 4WD, but this idle issue is priority atm! Thank you guys!

Old 02-10-2017, 03:36 AM
jconlin
Professional

Sounds like you have a vaccum leak. I would check all the vaccum lines. Try to find out where the whooshing is coming from, secondly if i were you i would pull the throttle body and give it a cleaning. Your IAC valve might also be bad. The ones they sell at the parts stores are crap, ive been through like 3 of them in two years. And i my truck isnt even a daily driver.

Last edited by jconlin; 02-10-2017 at 03:38 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Hemibuck
Veteran

Replace you IAC valve.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:42 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And clean where it seats. Also, there is an o-ring OR fiber gasket that goes onto rhe IAC. Make sure its there.

Do not push or pull on the plunger (actually called a pintle) on the IAC. It can ruin it.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:56 PM
Sarah Hawley
Default Thanks for replying!

I will do as suggested and keep ya posted. Thanks for the info guys. 😊

Old 02-10-2017, 03:49 PM
Hemibuck
Veteran

Get a good IAC not a cheap one. The cheap ones seem to go out a lot.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:16 PM
Sarah Hawley
Default Think I got it fixed...

So I finally got a day off and some nice weather. (I don't have a shop) pulled off my throttle body, cleaned it, replaced gasket as well as the AIC valve. She's running great so far! Thanks for all the great advice. I think the "whistle" sound was from my stock air intake. Rubber seal was cracked. Havent noticed the sound since I replaced it.... thanks again guys!!

Old 02-22-2017, 09:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Excellent.

Weather has been pretty nice here this week too. Of course, on Saturday, its supposed to be cold again....

Old 02-23-2017, 12:59 AM
Sarah Hawley

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Excellent.

Weather has been pretty nice here this week too. Of course, on Saturday, its supposed to be cold again....

hahaha! Yuuup sounds about right. Lol😄

Search this Thread