2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 RAM 1500 5.9 Noisy warm up question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 03:40 AM
JONJONsocal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by barnett468
Well since the engines were designed to handle the "stress" put on it by the fan and power of the exploding gas in the cylinders and the extra weight of a trailer etc and the engine and water pump will typically go for more than 100,000 miles before needing any attention, it seems illogical to install an electric fan that will flow less air than a stock one will . That's similar logic to exchanging the entire engine for another one so it's other parts don't wear out . Robbing Peter to pay Paul isn't practical.
Why will an electric fan pull less? With the cost of an OEM fan clutch and water pump you can get a pretty decent fan set up. Some people also claim better mpgs and more torque . Thanks for the input.

I have to replace both just because my fan clutch is bad. Otherwise I wouldnt even be thinking about it. Im the "if it aint broke dont fix it" kind of guy.. lol

Last edited by JONJONsocal; 02-19-2017 at 03:44 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:08 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 357 Likes on 336 Posts

Just replace the clutch with a HD aftermarket one. I think they run around $50.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:33 PM
JONJONsocal

Will a HD clutch fit my truck? Ill give it a shot. A $600 fan set up its out of my reach at the moment. I got the truck 2 years ago and the po changed the fan clutch, water pump, radiator and hoses. Besides from making a horrible noise it seems that the clutch its always some what engaged. If i try to turn it by hand my hardest pull makes it go about 1/2 a turn. I know its the fan clutch because I can leave the truck running and it takes longer for the noise that only happens when I rev the engine to go away. Thanks for the info..

Old 02-20-2017, 02:40 PM
JONJONsocal

This is the place I get all my car parts they are cheap and fast.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/d...an+clutch,6812

Which one do you guys recomend?

My fan clutch was replaced about 2 years ago, It is always 1/2 engaged. While cold I can turn it by hand somewhat and it is the same with the hot engine.. So its bad..