2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tune up questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 09:39 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune up questions

I'm planning on doing a tune up on my 5.9 magnum, got a lot of parts stocked up for it. But I just have a few questions.

How to drain coolant from block?
So I got a freeze plug set in case, but I need to know where and how to drain the block. I'm switching coolants, so I want to get all the old out. Is there a block drain plug? It looks like there is those Allen plugs in the kit, but idk where they go. Or would it be easier to pull the rear freeze plug on both sides of the block?

Rtv what? What should I put rtv on?(yes or no basically)
Water pump gasket?
Thermostat gasket?
Plenum gasket?(with new upgraded plate)
Timing cover?
Intake gaskets?(where?)
Tb gasket?
Valve cover?
(Just don't want to have any leaks or anything. Engine is dirty enough as it is)

Fuel sync?
I'm also doing plugs cap and rotor. Do I need to do a fuel sync? Would this thread be the same on our trucks?
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...can-tools.html

That's all the questions I can think of now. I'll post more if I think. I'll for sure be taking a lot of pictures once I get the time to accomplish this.

It will include:
Pleanum plate kit
Kegger mod if I can find a junkyard intake
Possibly a 52mm throttle body
New plugs wires cap and rotor
Double roller Timing chain and cover seal
New water pump
New coolant
Valve cover gaskets
New pcv
High flow air filter
I might be forgetting something but this is basically it. Just a general tune up with a few intake mods.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

There is a plug threaded into the block in about the middle, just above the oil pan rail, on both sides. They have been in there since the truck was assembled, hang out on the bottom of the motor, so, don't expect them to come out willingly. They are going to fight tooth and nail coming out.

RTV, none on the valve cover gaskets. (these should be viton, or rubber, in any event, and the top surface of the head is machined, so, don't use it there.) Thermostat gasket, water pump (both sides), timing cover (again, both sides, paying special attention to around the ports where coolant passes thru.) none on the throttle body gasket either.

If you aren't removing/moving the distributor, don't need to worry about fuel sync. Unless you have some reason to believe it may not be correct?

Don't get the timing cover set with the 'repair sleeve' for the balancer. Just get the regular set. If the balancer has a groove worn in it where the seal rides, replace it.

Stick with the green coolant. That's what the engine was designed for.

Edit: Intake gaskets: A dab of RTV at each corner where the intake gaskets meets the end gaskets, and a THIN bead around coolant ports. (both sides.)

PCV from dealer. They actually have the correct flow rate. (more than can be said for the aftermarket fellers.)

Figure two to three full days of work there. If you don't break any bolts......

Last edited by HeyYou; 03-02-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:58 AM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There is a plug threaded into the block in about the middle, just above the oil pan rail, on both sides. They have been in there since the truck was assembled, hang out on the bottom of the motor, so, don't expect them to come out willingly. They are going to fight tooth and nail coming out.

RTV, none on the valve cover gaskets. (these should be viton, or rubber, in any event, and the top surface of the head is machined, so, don't use it there.) Thermostat gasket, water pump (both sides), timing cover (again, both sides, paying special attention to around the ports where coolant passes thru.) none on the throttle body gasket either.

If you aren't removing/moving the distributor, don't need to worry about fuel sync. Unless you have some reason to believe it may not be correct?

Don't get the timing cover set with the 'repair sleeve' for the balancer. Just get the regular set. If the balancer has a groove worn in it where the seal rides, replace it.

Stick with the green coolant. That's what the engine was designed for.

Edit: Intake gaskets: A dab of RTV at each corner where the intake gaskets meets the end gaskets, and a THIN bead around coolant ports. (both sides.)

PCV from dealer. They actually have the correct flow rate. (more than can be said for the aftermarket fellers.)

Figure two to three full days of work there. If you don't break any bolts......
I just replaced the harmonic balancer due to seperation, so I don't have to worry about it being grooved.

I was under the truck not too long ago looking for those drain plugs as I saw in another thread, but I didn't see them. Are they near the engine mounts?
I also have 5 gallons of peak global laying around, from when I did some work on my other truck, and I love the coolant. I just want to use it, as it's what I have now, and what's in all our other cars. I might change my mind if I can't get those plugs out though.

Yep, going to the dealer today to get that pcv. Day off from school and work.

Yeah. I won't be doing this till I have a good week off. I'm also getting the intake off a junked truck so then I just swap it In as soon as the old one comes out.

Anything else I should worry about? What bolts usually break? Im guessing intake manifold? And how do you go about getting them out if they do?

Old 03-03-2017, 11:48 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Hey you nailed it. All I can add is some brands to use:

-GREEN coolant only
-Napa brass cap and rotor
-Stant thermostat
-Cloyes double roller set
-Champion plugs RC12YC
-stock wires routed to TSB
-MOPAR pcv only

This is a big job. Took me two and a half days but Napa sold me the wrong balancer.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:38 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

What about the plenum? Rtv on it? I'm putting the aluminum plate and new bolts.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Nope. No RTV on the plenum. Just use a GOOD quality gasket. (fel-pro.)

Old 03-03-2017, 05:55 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Ok. Sounds good. I make sure to document everything with pictures when I get to it. Won't be for awhile though!

Old 03-03-2017, 06:28 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

IS this the correct mopar part for the pcv valve?

Amazon Amazon

Old 03-03-2017, 09:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Just go to the dealership and get one. Mine was only like 8 bucks.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:29 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Ok. Also I don't want to start a new thread for this(and I guess it's part of a tune up ) but where can I find this tranny cooler hose??
Tune up questions-img_3690.jpg
Tune up questions-img_3691.jpg
It seems I can only find the upper one online. It looks as if it's been there awhile. Lol