2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Multiple Random Misfires (P0300)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 02:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Check fuel pressure. IF that's ok, do a compression, or, better yet, leakdown test. See what the numbers tell you.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:31 PM
jalbin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel pressure is good. I don't have a leakdown tester, and I really don't want to buy one, but I just might have to get a hold of one anyway cause I need to test my Blazer as well. So let's say for a hypothetical that one or more cylinders come back with greater than 20%... What would my best option be if I spent less than 2k on the truck to begin with? Also, what other things (if any) can you think of that I can check before I get my hands on a leakdown kit?

Old 04-13-2017, 03:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Might be able to rent a leaddown tester. Do you have an air compressor available? Need one for the leakdown test.....

How much you spend is completely up to you. How much do you like the truck? Is it worth it to YOU to repair it? (once you know what's up.....) You could likely do a 'refresh' on the motor for 2000, plus or minus.... (rings, bearings, replace the heads, gaskets, etc.)

Old 04-13-2017, 03:51 PM
jalbin

Harbor Freight has a a cheap one for like $40. As far as how much I like the truck? Not entirely. I got it cause I thought it would be nice to have a pickup, it has 4WD, and it was only $1800. I drive my Blazer most of the time and it doubles as my off-road toy, but the Dodge has more power and everything. I'm selling my '07 Murano, and if I see a truck I like better, I'll probably sell the Dodge as well. I just want to ensure there is no immediate repair required. Otherwise, I'm just gonna sling it or drive it into the ground.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

well, do the tests, and see what you come up with. Take it from there.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:30 PM
brian102
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you double check the plug wires are fully seated? they should click when they're all the way down and be a total pain to pull back off. i've had a bad set of new wires and i've also ruined a new set installing them impatiently in awkward positions. end result missfire codes and slight idle roughness. i would triple check this basic thing before tearing into compression checks, injectors, etc... also i noticed no mention of the cap and rotor, check those too.

personally i never trust "new" parts from someone i buy a vehicle from, they've left me chasing my tail just like you're doing right now. i ruled the bad part out because it was new it couldn't possibly be the problem. ultimately i've just settled into the habbit of doing a basic tuneup on every new to me vehicle, unless they left the box and receipt from last week in the back seat everything is suspect lol.

not sure where you go to get parts, but rockauto can save you some bigtime $$$ if you can wait for shipping.

Last edited by brian102; 04-13-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:43 PM
jalbin

I've checked the plug wires about a hundred times now. They are in immaculate condition. All of them click onto the plugs and everything. I haven't checked the distributor cap or rotor (kicking myself for not doing that when the intake was off), but the truck has over 280,000 miles on it, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a compression issue.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:20 PM
brian102
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jalbin
I've checked the plug wires about a hundred times now. They are in immaculate condition. All of them click onto the plugs and everything. I haven't checked the distributor cap or rotor (kicking myself for not doing that when the intake was off), but the truck has over 280,000 miles on it, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a compression issue.
lol, ok, i just hate to see someone chase ghosts, i've done it too many times just to have someone come over and jiggle a wire , click, all better lol. i would definitely check the cap and rotor though.

280k, yeah there could be compression issues, but i've seen blowby that would levitate the oil cap and it purrs like a kitten.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:13 PM
jalbin

Just drove it residential, main street, and highway for the first time since the repairs and didn't get any codes! They may still crop up because it still acts like the front end is hopping when you roll forward or backward. Maybe that's something more mechanical? Maybe a motor mount, but you literally only feel it when slowly creeping forward or backward... I dunno.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Do you get a vibration at higher speeds?