2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lucas HD oil stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 08:06 PM
MasonArmstrong
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lucas HD oil stabilizer

So i was going through my local autozone today and i noticed they had a big display with a model trying to get me to buy lucas hd oil stabilizer. Im pretty skeptical of this stuff, its as thick as molasses and i thought, wouldnt this change the oil viscosity to a thicker oil? Does anyone that knows more about oil and its properties than i do have any idea how/if this stuff works?

Old 04-05-2017, 09:33 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's all I think is, thick molasses. Just like that stp oil treatment. It thickens the oil to help reduce burning, and such. I wouldn't use it, it just lightens your wallet.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:37 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I use it all the time. Seems like after it sits for days the valve train makes less noise on start up and it idles smoother. A friend of my swears when he was overhauling cat engines all the time he could tell who ran it and who didn't, the lucas having reduced wear. Its weird because its sticky but not that thick really. Hard to explain but whenever I have done an oil change it seemed fairly normal consistency, but oil pressure was good. Idk, its up to you. I have ran it in a few vehicles now.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:46 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

If you use good quality oil and change it before it wears out, you don't need oil stabilizer. Increasing oil viscosity means slower cold flow.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:21 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Agreed, I wouldn't use the stuff. Use good quality oil and change it before it wears out.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:02 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I run at a minimum max life valvoline or amsoil signature series (I typically don't add to the amsoil) depending on the vehicle. You would be surprised cold flow isn't bad, drains pretty nice.