2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny Bands, Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 09:14 AM
ballstimeballs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Bands, Need Help!

My tranny (46re) has maybe 20k on it and I'm experiencing what feels like a slip between 2nd and third gear.. It feels like it wants to shift, and when it finally decides it wants to and I hear/feel a clunk.. It doesn't happen all the time, and it seems dependent on how much I'm on the gas.

Quite simply, what should I do?
Loosen/tighten one, or both bands?

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/transmission

This site has given me some great info, especially in that first paragraph... But I think I'm a bit too stupid to figure it out what it means So I would appreciate some help. Thanks!

Old 04-08-2017, 11:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Think I would try readjusting the bands first. I know MonteC talks about it somewhere in the "MonteC's transmission corner" thread.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:25 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

I was definitely thinking I need an adjustment of some sort, I'm just not sure if I only need to touch one, or both.

Any idea where I might find that info in MonteCs thread? I'm 10 pages in of 84... Lol That is one help of a thread though.

I would appreciate if someone else can chime in with some info as well

Old 04-08-2017, 02:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Been a while since I went thru it.... so, not really sure where to find it. Might try searching the thread itself for "adjust".... or some such. Not sure which is the forward band either.....

Old 04-08-2017, 04:03 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Been a while since I went thru it.... so, not really sure where to find it. Might try searching the thread itself for "adjust".... or some such. Not sure which is the forward band either.....

Automatic Transmission Band Adjustment:

The front band controls the 2nd gear cluster. The rear band controls the 3rd gear cluster and reverse. For a 2-3 shift, the transmission shifts back to 1st gear with the front band while the rear band engages 3rd gear. If the front band does not release the 2nd gear clutches before the third gear clutches engage, the transmission binds, which shortens the life of the transmission clutches. If the front band releases too early in the shift, the engine will overspeed (sounds and feels like a slip) during the 2-3 shift.

I believe my answer lies here. When a transmission "binds" does it make strange noises or something? I believe my symptom is more of a "slip," only I don't really feel the engine overspeed.. Basically I can feel that the trans should/wants to shift, but it usually won't until I let off the gas a bit and then the trans will generally "clunk" into third gear. Everything else works perfectly, and I've messed with the TV cable a bunch with no real results.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:26 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

Turns out a bunch of GM guys have the same issues, and that it is "normal" according to the dealers. Because there is the change between the two bands, there is gear lash and that explains the common thunk sound that can easily be heard and felt through the whole cab of my truck...

Seriously annoying if you ask me, and it doesn't happen in all trucks as I have driven many. So, maybe I won't get a real answer, but I would be interested to know.. Do you experience the same thing?

Old 04-09-2017, 09:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I don't...... Both my trucks have shifted pretty smooth, even when heavy on the gas. Neither of them hit the gears really hard...... I can feel the shift, but, it isn't a pronounced thing.....