2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Suspected Fuel Pump Failure or Clogged Filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 08:42 PM
Fishhooker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspected Fuel Pump Failure or Clogged Filter

Truck in question is a 2001 1500 v6 4x2 with 213k miles and an unknown maintenance history. I'm either dumb, brave, or a glutton for punishment!

Maintenance done to the truck in the last month:
Cap, rotor, plugs, wires
Ignition Coil
O2 Sensor
Air Filter
Oil change

For the past week it has had intermittent issues with sputtering/missing when accelerating from a stop, but the problem doesn't occur if I rev while parked. It will also have a random stutter every 15 to 30 seconds when idling- it will quickly drop from 800rpm to about 650 for a split second, and the engine will noticeably jerk then jump back to 800.

Today I drove about 30 miles to pick up a new bedroom set. I had some slight acceleration sputtering on the way there, but nothing major. After I loaded up and started the truck, I had about 10 seconds of random clicking coming from the tank area before leaving the parking lot. About 20 miles into the drive home the sputtering got pretty bad any time I had to climb a hill at freeway speeds. It actually felt a bit like I was running out of gas.

It seems that since the problem does not occur when parked, I can rule out the tps.

Yes, I know I need to clean the tb and do an intake gasket for good measure! :-)

The truck starts very easily, and I can hear the pump cycle like normal when the key is turned on.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:45 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A fuel pressure test would determine if the pump is an issue.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:36 AM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

There's no engine lights that come on when it's doing it? I had what you describe happen but the yellow check engine light would come on and go off. I finally got a code for #5 spark plug misfire, which was a tiny bit loose. Someone will come along and point out how stupid what I write is, but that's what caused the exact same symptoms in my 5.2L and it hasn't done it since I squeezed the sparkl plug wire cap tighter and made sure it was on real tight.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:53 AM
Fishhooker

Originally Posted by mantisman51
There's no engine lights that come on when it's doing it? I had what you describe happen but the yellow check engine light would come on and go off. I finally got a code for #5 spark plug misfire, which was a tiny bit loose. Someone will come along and point out how stupid what I write is, but that's what caused the exact same symptoms in my 5.2L and it hasn't done it since I squeezed the sparkl plug wire cap tighter and made sure it was on real tight.
No CEL along with it. My scanner does live monitoring, but it's not the safest to try to watch all the monitors while driving at highway speeds.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Grab a friend, have your friend drive, while you watch what it happening.