2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 Ram 1500 Reverse problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 02:55 PM
AKPoko
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Ram 1500 Reverse problem

I have a 98 Ram 1500 4X4 with the 46RE Tranny. Forward gears work fine in drive. When in Reverse it takes a lot of acceleration to get it to move. Like the parking brake is on. Creeps forward in neutral and will not roll back in neutral. Engine off, rolls fine backwards and forwards. Adj'd front band, dropped pan to adj rear band. Reverse servo piston broken. Replaced servo with upgrade. Same problem now but ever so slightly better. Did not check this before, but when in first (not drive) it also locks up. Any help?

Old 04-15-2017, 07:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Did you find anything rude in the pan? Aside from broken bits of piston......

Think I would drop the pan again, maybe get a drain plug for it..... and recheck the band adjustment. Also, check the band itself, and see if there is any friction material left on it... check the drum it grabs for scoring as well.

You *might* be able to change the band, with the 'slip-fit' one from transmission center.... but, that may or may not make a difference.

Going to move this to the Second Gen Ram section for ya.

Welcome to DF!

Old 04-23-2017, 10:20 AM
AKPoko
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I saw your post I pulled the pan again. Everything "looked" ok. I tightened the band adjuster one full turn for the fun of it. Now low gear works fine, but reverse is still binding. Still creeps in neutral and if you give it gas, it moves as if in gear. I did not try to see if the band had material on it. Pan was clean. First time I pulled the pan, the magnet had the usual fine particles on it. Still clean now. I am probably going to install a drain plug, but am not sure what to do except try to check the band material. Can the band cause the neutral creeping and reverse lock up only? Even if low is now working?

Old 04-23-2017, 10:38 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a professional and someone more knowledgable than myself may chime in, but...

I would think that if your band(s) are too tight, they could be causing that "creep."

Old 04-23-2017, 10:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbd1
Not a professional and someone more knowledgable than myself may chime in, but...

I would think that if your band(s) are too tight, they could be causing that "creep."
I agree, the bands need to be adjusted properly. Drain plug is an excellent idea.