2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stuck in 1st, changed solenoids, stuck in 3rd...

Old 05-01-2017, 07:23 PM
James Read
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stuck in 1st, changed solenoids, stuck in 3rd...

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 318 46RE towing package.

My tranny suddenly started getting stuck in first gear. I replaced the VSS in the tranny since that was the code I had. It didn't help. After some research I replaced the solenoids and sensors in the tranny. There were four sensors/solenoids in the kit. Two were on a bracket, and the other two were in the small housing that was blocking the other two on the bracket. All those plugged into one harness that wrapped around and on top of another piece. Inside that was a broken spring that I replaced. New filter, new gaskets, old fluid, which was clean, back in. I unplugged the battery for a bit, reattached it, started it, checked the fluid in N, then drove out. Went into R great out of the driveway. But when I put it into D it was stuck in 3rd. If I downshift by hand, it will go into second, but not first.

Also, while I was waiting for the parts to come I noticed something else, my speedo doesn't move till I'm nearing 35 MPH, and then a few days ago, my brake and ABS lights came on. Not sure if this is related, or just something else that broke.

My guess is maybe that piston the spring was in got damaged, but isn't that what makes it go into overdrive and not what controls it going into first? This is so frustrating, it's the one thing on cars I don't know, trannys.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

Yeah, transmissions sure are fun.....

So, unplug the 8 pin connector on the trans that you are now all too familiar with. Go for a drive, does it actually go into first gear when you pull the shifter all the way down? If it doesn't, you have mechanical issues.

Speedo/ABS/Brake lites are all related. Replace the rear wheel speed sensor on top of the rear diff. May, or may not help the trans. (might wanna do that first...... see if it does solve all of it.)

Search this Thread