2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 Dodge Ram 2500

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 01:48 PM
jcerven
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dodge Ram 2500

I have looked online but I can't find what I think I'm looking for because I don't know what it is called. I was wondering if there was some sort of adjustment I could put on my steering column to reduce sway. It has a lot of sway when driving down the road.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:12 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

By sway, do you mean a lot of movement in the steering wheel before the wheels actually turn? Some refer to that as slop.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:20 PM
jcerven

Not before I turn just driving straight down the road it goes back a forth a lot and I have to constantly be moving the wheel.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:50 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, it's slop then. Lots of things to look at:
Tighten up/adjust your existing steering box
Install a Rock Solid Rsm steering fix
Check your steering stabilizer (it might help but prob not the whole problem)
Ball joints
Loose/worn bushings
Etc.

You are really going to need to dive into this to figure out the causes of your problem. Start by jacking up the front end, have someone turn the wheel back and forth to figure out where the play in your steering wheel is coming from.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:53 PM
jcerven

Okay thank you that should help. I have put in a whole new steering column just recently because when I got the truck all the away bars were bent and I went ahead and got a new stabilizer while I was at it. That helped the steering quite a bit but there is still plenty of slop like you are saying and I didn't know if there would be any extra or special stabilizer to help this.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Need to look at the steering and see what's loose. Likely it's the steering box itself.... they are rather known for that..... Grab a friend, have them lightly turn the wheel back and forth, see what moves that shouldn't, and what doesn't move, that should. Take it from there.