2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 ram 1500 5.9 transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 02:22 PM
Justin Sager
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 ram 1500 5.9 transmission problem

Hello ive got a 97 ram 1500 with the 5.9l 46re transmission and i am having shifting problems. Wont shift out of 1st until about 3k rpm and i have to let off the gas for it to shift. Then when i barely put my foot on the gas it automaticly shifts back down to 1st. Ive replaced tps and the transmission speed sensor. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-08-2017, 02:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Welcome to DF!.

Check the TV cable. Make sure it is adjusted properly, and not binding anywhere.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:45 PM
Justin Sager

Where exactly is that located? I am new to this type of mechanic work and cant afford to take it to the shop. Thanks

Old 05-08-2017, 03:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

It's a cable that runs from the passenger side of the throttle body (throttle linkage side) down to a lever on the trans. (on the drivers side.....) It's job is to tell the trans how hard you are stepping on the go-pedal, and the trans adjusts shift points accordingly. If the trans thinks you are stomping on the gas, it's going to hold the gear longer.

Checking it is MUCH simpler with two people, so, draft a friend, and see what it's doing. The lever on the trans should be at the limit of travel when at idle, and it should move smoothly as the throttle is opened. (and then return to the same point your started at when you release the gas.) There shouldn't be ANY slack in the cable either.

You can check it with the engine off.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:26 PM
Justin Sager

Ok so i decided to take the truck on a longer drive up to 60mph to see how the rest of the gears are. What im thinking and feeling is it is shifting from 1st to 3rd, completly skipping 2nd gear. That is why i am having to run rpm up to 3k then let off gas to shift. Shifts into 3rd and overdrive nice a smooth, downshifts smooth, and it will go into 2nd for a second when downshifting but always goes right into 1st. Any different idea, i checked the tv cable and it seemed fine, wasnt super tight but not loose. Any help is appreciated. Btw i have been told that a solenoid upgrade kit would do the trick. Has the govener solenoid, govener sensor, speed sensor, and another sensor, plus doing fluid and filter change. Let me know where you guys would start. Thanks

Old 05-10-2017, 12:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Try this test.

On the drivers side of the trans, about halfway back, is an 8 pin connector, that plugs straight down into the top of the valve body. Unplug it.

Go for a drive. Keep in mind, that you will have ZERO automatic function. The trans simply will NOT shift on it's own. So, start in first, shift to second when appropriate, etc. You will also not get TCC, or O/D. So, stay off the freeway.

If the trans shifts into the gear you tell it to, when you tell it to, then changing the electronics likely will solve the issue. If it still doesn't like second gear, then you have a larger problem, and a rebuild is pretty likely.