2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

courtesy light switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 04:54 PM
JimDorman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default courtesy light switch

I have a 1994 Ram 2500.
Having a problem replacing the courtesy light switch. I've broken 3 switches trying to get the automatic adjuster to adjust to the right gap. Every time I close the the door (carefully and slowly) with the new switch in place, the switch falls apart. The part I am putting in is Wells Vehicle Electronics switch part no. SW1045. It looks like the one that came out and fits the factory plug.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Attached Thumbnails courtesy light switch-img_1196.jpg  

Last edited by JimDorman; 05-16-2017 at 04:55 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 05-17-2017, 10:07 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

No, not had this problem. Maybe try a different brand switch?

Old 05-17-2017, 01:02 PM
JimDorman

I've looked for other brands. No luck. Guess I'll do without a dome light for now when I open drivers door.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:06 PM
JimDorman
Default Courtesy Light Switch Solution

Originally Posted by JimDorman
I have a 1994 Ram 2500.
Having a problem replacing the courtesy light switch. I've broken 3 switches trying to get the automatic adjuster to adjust to the right gap. Every time I close the the door (carefully and slowly) with the new switch in place, the switch falls apart. The part I am putting in is Wells Vehicle Electronics switch part no. SW1045. It looks like the one that came out and fits the factory plug.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I just SUCCESSFULLY install the switch today after 3 other attempts. Here's how I did it in case anyone else comes across this same problem.

Step #1: Throw away the instruction sheet.

Step #2: Use a small screw driver to release the outer locking ring from the inner bezel.courtesy light switch-img_1204.jpg

Step #3: Support the inner bezel (I used a crescent wrench). Use a needle nose pliers to grab below the switch button and push down on the barrel(don't pust on the button itself).(notice the small adjusting notches with a wide notch in the middle) Push the barrel down past the wide notch in the middle of the barrel.

Step #4: Replace the locking ring to it's original place. See step 2.

Step #5: Dig the instruction sheet out of the garbage can and install the per instruction sheet.