2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No power Need Help ASAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 06:56 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

I don't *think* the cam sensor will cause a no spark.
Pcm needs to get feedback from it when you crank it. The crank shaft needs to make one complete rotation before the pcm will fire the coil or injectors. It needs to know what cylinder is at what position.

I just checked for signal from the pcm and 12 volts power when cranking.
And did you have both?

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that a bad ASD will not prevent you from getting power to the coil or injectors, but WILL prevent the injectors from pulsing and will also prevent the coil from sending spark to the distributor.
If the pcm does not power on the asd relay you will not get 12V+ to coil 02's or injectors. The pulse(negative) the pcm sends to the injectors. If it is not seeing info from both crank and cam sensors it will not fire the coil or injectors(negative pulse).

Grab a spare spark plug, unplug the coil wire from the distributor cap, plug the spark plug into it, and then ground it somewhere. (I will just put it on the valve cover, or intake manifold, and then hold it in place with a screwdriver with a PLASTIC handle. the coil can HURT. )

See if it will fire the plug.
You can do this or if you have a timing light put it on the coil wire. If it flashes you have spark.