2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No power Need Help ASAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 03:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

So long as you get good engagement of the slip yoke on the driveshaft, it's all good. Bad things happen when it doesn't go in as far as it should, and wobbles around. Things tend to go bad REAL quick.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:43 PM
Randyn Collins
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok good to know I'll go out and look at them.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:31 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyn Collins
This has nothing to do with engine but I don't feel like it needs a whole new post and can't find anything on it. Does anyone know what I can do for a speedo. It used to run off the transfer case but now the case that's on the 5 speed doesn't use that method. Can I just get an abs/ speedo combo for the rear diff??? Then just wire it up? Thanks
If the gear swap for the speedo that HeyYou is lining you out on doesn't work you can try this: http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd126.htm.
I have one that I put in about the same Time as my 408, and it works great. Because of swapping my 97 1500 auto cab on to a 98 2500 manual frame, I didn't have an easy speedo option. Mine reads off of the tone ring like the 98 and newer trucks do. If you look around their site they have options to add a tone ring to the drive line instead.
It also makes it easy to adjust for different tires or gears

Old 07-18-2017, 08:32 PM
Randyn Collins
Amateur

Can anyone please help and explain this to me. Never noticed until now but where the tranny bolts to the motor there is only about 3 bolts holding it on. All at the top. All of the bell housing to the tranny is there but I feel like something is missing off the motor. All 3 or 4 bolts on the bottom don't have anything to bolt to. You can see the flywheel and even clear up to the crank sensor. I can't find anywhere online about the piece that I think is missing...... Thanks.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Some of them come thru from the front, there are two on the starter motor, more on the other side.

The piece you are missing is just a dust shield. Basically a flat piece of thin sheetmetal. Get one from a junkyard.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:00 PM
Big Green 360
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an extra dust shield if you're interested. Found my original after getting one from a junkyard and installing it.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:58 PM
Randyn Collins
Amateur

Thank you. Going tommorow to a junkyard. I also found that there are 2 bars that come from the engine mount bolt to each side of the tranny bell housing. These bars haven't been on the truck the entire time I've had it. I looked at my dad's truck that's how I noticed it. We made one real quick to test and it drives so much smoother with it on. Time to go over the whole drivetrain bolts because who know what else this moron didn't put back on..... Thanks again.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:02 PM
Randyn Collins
Amateur
Default Need Help Again ASAP

For some reason I cannot post anymore so hopefully someone sees this. My 96 dodge ram 1500 with 318 magnum 5 speed manual ( used to be automatic and still has the auto computer and wiring harness ) wont start now. Drove it to work fine. Left work went to the gym, came home and parked it. Hooked up new speakers and they worked fine didn't attempt to start it up that night though. It will sit there and crank all day but I don't have any spark and the injectors aren't letting gas into cylinders. Fuel pump is working and there's fuel to the rail. New CPS tried a working cam sensor and coil and cap. Tried a known working PCM and no difference. Replaced all relays and fuses ( inside ) and under hood. Have fully dissected wiring harness looking for cracks breaks etc. Took radio out and undid everything back to when it was running. Checked all grounds. Checked continuity clear across harness and all sensors no broken wires anywhere. Sometimes relays will click and I got one little sputter out of it today. I am absolutely lost here. I only hooked up 4 speakers wires no sparks or anything happened ive done many radios. Some pins on my pcm that are supposed to have 5 volts supply only have like 1.3 - 1.7 volts. But crank and cam sensors both have 5 volts. Both wires on coil have 12 volts with key on. Not sure if that's right. Sorry for long post and also posting on this old one I'm just completely out of ideas. Thanks

Old 10-16-2017, 09:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Coil should see 12 volts for about 3 seconds when you first turn the key on. If the PCM doesn't see the engine turning, it will turn off power to the coil. (and injectors as well)

Unplug the coil, should be 12 volts on one side, and nothin' on the other. If you still have 12 volts on both wires, you have a short somewhere.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:57 PM
Randyn Collins
Amateur

Ok I think I've been beat and the truck is gonna go to the junkyard soon. Its been 3 days now and haven't gotten anywhere. Crank shaft position sensor and cam sensor are good. Wires are all good. All 3 wires have what there supposed to. A ground a signal and a constant 5 volts. My coil is getting 12 volts when the motor is cranking and the other wire is flashing the test light like it's supposed to. All my dash light work, windows, door lock etc. No blown fuses or fuse links. Replaced and tryed bypassing asd relay. Fuel pump comes on for 2-3 seconds as usual. All wires at PCM have everything the diagram shows it's supposed to. Meaning power ground etc. Took my computer and put it in another truck and it started up perfectly. Tried the computer out of another truck and still nothing. Check continuity from fuse distribution box to PCM on all wires and all checked out. Looked under truck for broken/ cracked hanging wires and nothing. TPS, MAP, IAC all have power, ground, and signal. I think I already mentioned I tried a working coil and still nothing. The fuel injectors have 12 volts power but wont inject but that doesn't matter seeing how I don't have spark. I'm completely lost on this truck and running out of patience. Thanks.