2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can't Find Factory Infinity Amplifier

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 12:47 AM
Redeemer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't Find Factory Infinity Amplifier

I'm trying to locate the factory Infinity amplifier in my 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad cab w/ 5-speed manual, front bench seat. Unfortunately, I can not find the f-ing thing! My goal is to locate the factory amp (which has a burned-out channel) so it can be bypassed, and then utilize the factory speaker wires for a new sound-system upgrade.

My truck came from the factory with the optional 6speaker Infinity sound system:
>(2) rear speakers in rear door panels
>(4) front speakers; (2) in door panels, (2) in front window posts

I have removed the radio, glove box and main dash panel to gain access and I have searched every possible space under the dashboard, however I still can not find the amplifier. I've also looked under the stick-shift console (found a small "black box", but not an amp) and under the center seat, but no joy there either.

I've also tried following the speaker wires coming out of the factory radio, which lead upwards and then disappear into the wiring harness where it becomes obscured and inaccessible -so I don't know where they end up.

Please tell me somebody knows where I can find this thing! The other alternative is to run all-new wires to all 6 speaker locations, but that's a lot of work for this vehicle. Or is it possible this thing could have individual door-amps on each speaker?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Can't Find Factory Infinity Amplifier-ramdash-1-.jpg  
Old 06-21-2017, 08:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

The amplifiers are built onto the speakers.

Welcome to DF.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:49 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The amplifiers are built onto the speakers.

Welcome to DF.
Yep, time to change the speakers.