'01 Ram 1500 5.2L V8 engine turn but won't start - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page > '01 Ram 1500 5.2L V8 engine turn but won't start
Notices
2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'01 Ram 1500 5.2L V8 engine turn but won't start

Old 07-16-2017, 09:05 AM
Andy'01Ram
Default '01 Ram 1500 5.2L V8 engine turn but won't start

I have a 2001 Ram1500 5.2L V8. About a week and a half ago my wife got in it to drive it, it started and drove, we swapped vehicles and it started fine for me as well. After about 5 miles to my destination, it was parked and off for about an hour. When got back in to drive it it wouldn't start. The engine turned and turned but just wouldn't run. At one point it did start up again and ran for about 30 seconds or so and died again. It just turned and turned with out running. Through a process of elimination, I have already put in a new fuel pump, new spark plugs and wires, new distributor cap and rotor, new crank shaft position sensor. There is no change to the status, the engine turns and turns but doesn't start. The mechanic I have been working with is baffled. He thinks it might be the computer. What do guys think? Any advise would help. Happy Trucking!!

Last edited by Andy'01Ram; 07-16-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:19 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Need to find out what is missing.

Verify you have good fuel pressure, you are getting spark AT THE PLUGS, and you are getting injector pulse.

Welcome to DF!

Old 07-16-2017, 10:23 AM
Andy'01Ram

It has good fuel pressure, it gets good spark, ignition coil is good.
Everything I put into it already works. Just can't figure out why it won't start.

Thanks for the welcome. I've been on here a lot recently. But now with a baffled mechanic, I had ask for further advise for the Interwebs.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:30 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Then you need to check for injector pulse. (need a noid light for that, which your mechanic should have, or, you may be able to rent one from your local parts store.)

Old 07-16-2017, 10:40 AM
Big Green 360
Rookie

These are only guesses:

1) Did you recently fill up the tank? Could you or your wife have accidentally filled up the tank with diesel?

2) Could you have gotten bad gas or gas contaminated with water?

3) Are you sure the engine is actually turning over, or is the sound you are hearing just the starter turning without engaging?

4) You have fuel pressure, but have you checked your injectors to make sure they aren't clogged?

Best of luck!

Old 07-16-2017, 10:56 AM
Andy'01Ram

I'm last person to put gas in it. And no, it was not diesel. My wife used to work at AAMCO, so I am positive it wasn't her. She's pretty stumped too.
It's is engine turning. I even asked the mechanic about the starter. He said it wouldn't be doing what it's doing if it was the starter.

I am gonna have to ask about the fuel injectors. Thanks.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:39 AM
Moparite
Record Breaker

Any codes?

Old 07-18-2017, 12:06 AM
2bit
Veteran

I agree with Hey You. Test for injector pulse with a noid light. I hate to suggest this, but give it a small shot of ether and see if it starts. Fuel pressure doesn't matter if the injectors aren't getting the signal to spray.

Search this Thread