2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New To the Forums

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 10:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Wonder if they sent ya the wrong size bearings?

Was the crank turned? Rod resized? Leave a puddle of oil everywhere you go?

And the mechanical gauge agreed that pressure was actually THAT low?

Old 08-04-2017, 11:06 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Wonder if they sent ya the wrong size bearings?

Was the crank turned? Rod resized? Leave a puddle of oil everywhere you go?

And the mechanical gauge agreed that pressure was actually THAT low?
Size beating were correct everything was done correctly lol I run my own shop (not bragging ) no oil leaks. Mechanical gauge read 14 at idle. Fsm says if you make 6 or over at idle you are good. With me pushing extreme hp I thought it would be higher

Old 08-04-2017, 11:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Generous Motors always told me 7 minimum PSI, but, they were referring to a high-mileage motor..... Most certainly NOT a new one.

Cruise pressure sounds ok, still, lower than what I would expect. (I see right about 60 on my 8.0 when cruising at 55......)

On 99% of the 'new' motors I built, on a 'fresh', warmed up motor, I got used to seeing over 30 at about 900 RPM.......

Wonder if the relief valve in the oil pump is faulty?

High Horsepower? Did you run the clearances a bit wide on the bearings??

Old 08-04-2017, 11:15 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Generous Motors always told me 7 minimum PSI, but, they were referring to a high-mileage motor..... Most certainly NOT a new one.

Cruise pressure sounds ok, still, lower than what I would expect. (I see right about 60 on my 8.0 when cruising at 55......)

On 99% of the 'new' motors I built, on a 'fresh', warmed up motor, I got used to seeing over 30 at about 900 RPM.......

Wonder if the relief valve in the oil pump is faulty?

High Horsepower? Did you run the clearances a bit wide on the bearings??
I have a 8.0 I'm building along with a 6.4 Hemi don't know which one I'll put in (your opinion?). Could be the relief valve but doubt it. No I didn't they are tight. Off topic question what happened to MonteC where is his shop at?

Old 08-04-2017, 11:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

MonteC fell off the forums back in like 2011...... Guess he just got busy, and didn't have time for us anymore. Yea, I miss him.

If it's a truck 8.0, there really isn't much in the aftermarket for them, and even some replacement parts are getting REALLY hard to find. (OEM crank, and cam sensors, for instance.) And what parts you CAN find seem to be made of Unobtainium, as they are hideously expensive.

The Hemi, on the other hand, has ooodles (yes, that is a technical term) of goodies out there in the world for it.

What weight oil are you running? Synthetic?

Old 08-04-2017, 11:23 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

MonteC fell off the forums back in like 2011...... Guess he just got busy, and didn't have time for us anymore. Yea, I miss him.

If it's a truck 8.0, there really isn't much in the aftermarket for them, and even some replacement parts are getting REALLY hard to find. (OEM crank, and cam sensors, for instance.) And what parts you CAN find seem to be made of Unobtainium, as they are hideously expensive.

The Hemi, on the other hand, has ooodles (yes, that is a technical term) of goodies out there in the world for it.

What weight oil are you running? Synthetic?
Do you know the name of his shop? I already blew 2 tranny's with my 650 horses. Hemi it is then and it is a truck 8.0 :b 10W-30 Penzoil Full Synthetic

Old 08-04-2017, 11:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Not just off-hand..... I *think* he is in the Carolinas somewhere..... but, not 100% on that. I am pretty sure it is mentioned somewhere in his thread..... (yeah, somewhere in 80 some odd pages......)

Could always install a Mega Viper. I think they are rated to 800 or so.....

Hhhmmmmm....... I think something is amiss with your motor. Even synthetic oil should be that low..... I was thinkin' maybe you were using 0W20, or some such..... THAT might explain it....

I would be real tempted to yank the oil pump, and test it.......

Restriction in the oil passage to the sensor? Maybe?? (see that straw I am grasping at? )

Bed time for me. Got a family reunion we are hosting HERE (my place) tomorrow. Should be fun. I'll be glad when it's over.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:02 AM
SST97
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious minds would like to know what's on the build sheet for the 650 horse NA 360

Old 08-05-2017, 11:07 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Not just off-hand..... I *think* he is in the Carolinas somewhere..... but, not 100% on that. I am pretty sure it is mentioned somewhere in his thread..... (yeah, somewhere in 80 some odd pages......)

Could always install a Mega Viper. I think they are rated to 800 or so.....

Hhhmmmmm....... I think something is amiss with your motor. Even synthetic oil should be that low..... I was thinkin' maybe you were using 0W20, or some such..... THAT might explain it....

I would be real tempted to yank the oil pump, and test it.......

Restriction in the oil passage to the sensor? Maybe?? (see that straw I am grasping at? )

Bed time for me. Got a family reunion we are hosting HERE (my place) tomorrow. Should be fun. I'll be glad when it's over.
I'll have to try and find it. Mega Viper would work for now but I plan on bumping it up to 1250hp on the 360 and the Hemi will you'll have to wait

Old 08-05-2017, 11:08 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by SST97
Curious minds would like to know what's on the build sheet for the 650 horse NA 360
When I finally get everything working I'm going to be posting it up! Right now tracking down this oil issue.