2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tuner question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 10:46 PM
5.9_MAGNUM_POWER
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner question

I have been looking on eBay and my question is will all superchips 3815 tuners work. Many of them say for 5.7 hemi, but many other guys talk about using them on their magnum series engines?? And also I keep looking at the 3865 tuners too. Do they produce the same 46.9hp gains also??

Old 08-27-2017, 05:25 AM
SST97
Amateur

As with almost any product on ebay or amazon, if you're not certain; visit the manufacturer website or call them to verify.
No, no tuner will give you 50 HP on a stick magnum.
SCT tuners seem to be all the rage now days for magnum engines. Depending on who you get it from, canned tunes may be fine, but custom is always better.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:22 PM
jsmith1969
Professional

Originally Posted by 5.9_MAGNUM_POWER
I have been looking on eBay and my question is will all superchips 3815 tuners work. Many of them say for 5.7 hemi, but many other guys talk about using them on their magnum series engines?? And also I keep looking at the 3865 tuners too. Do they produce the same 46.9hp gains also??
Yes the 3815 will work on these trucks. No they definitely don't give 40+hp gain.

I had a 3815 at first I had got cheap and recently upgraded to a Flyin Ryan tuned SCT and can easily tell it's much better and he doesn't claim even 20hp gain iirc.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:33 AM
5.9_MAGNUM_POWER
Rookie

How much do sct tuners usually run, and will it harm my tranny??

Old 08-29-2017, 10:26 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.9_MAGNUM_POWER
How much do sct tuners usually run, and will it harm my tranny??
Depends on who you buy it from for price and if you need the hand held or are just buying the tunes.

These are the 2 most popular:
Hemifever http://www.hemifevertuning.com/

Flyin' Ryan Performance http://www.frptuning.com/default.asp

As far as the trans goes as long as you do you fluid changes and band adjustments on schedule and replace the electronics (i.e. governor pressure sensor/solenoid) when they start giving symptoms you will be fine.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:00 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts

Flyin' Ryan Performance isn't supporting the Magnum engines anymore unless you can take the vehicle to him or get a group together from where you're at and have him come out and do a dyno day. He was having issues with folks not getting him the info he needed to support him being able to do a tune thru email. I think you can still buy canned tunes thru him. Your best bet is to contact him before you buy a tuner thru him.
Hemifever is a good person to get your tunes thru also.

Pricing is on both web pages.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:12 AM
44dakota
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have the death tune from the dealer,like mine did, you probably will pick up that much hp gain, im running the superchips now, and it was a completely different truck after i installed it...

Old 08-30-2017, 01:17 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Flyin' Ryan Performance isn't supporting the Magnum engines anymore unless you can take the vehicle to him or get a group together from where you're at and have him come out and do a dyno day. He was having issues with folks not getting him the info he needed to support him being able to do a tune thru email. I think you can still buy canned tunes thru him. Your best bet is to contact him before you buy a tuner thru him.
Hemifever is a good person to get your tunes thru also.

Pricing is on both web pages.
I did see that on Ryans website now that custom tuning is only done in person. He will fly out to do just your vehicle but I can't imagine the price of that...............
But he still sells canned tunes.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:14 AM
hemifever
SPONSOR

I've got the tuners in stock for $399 with a handful of different octane rated tunes. They work really nice on your model

Old 08-30-2017, 08:55 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hemifever
I've got the tuners in stock for $399 with a handful of different octane rated tunes. They work really nice on your model
What equipment or devices do you recommend we have installed for you to do a good custom tune? What information are you needing?
Thank you