2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird led light issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 10:49 PM
Lifted1999Ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird led light issue

First off let me say i am terrible when it comes to electricity and electrical problems. So if this is simple dont bash me to hard

Ok let me give some context to this:

I installed a set of spec-d halo projector headlights on my truck at the end of may. They have been working perfect ever since. I installed a 52" curved light bar on my truck last week and went to test it the next night by hitting some mud holes. I was with a friend riding around with the light bar on and all of a sudden the light bar cuts off. We stop the truck to see what just happened. We find that there is no power to the light bar whatsoever and the 3 of the leds on my passenger side light strip in the headlight are flickering.

So tonight I had an hour to mess with the truck to see what happened. The light bar blew its fuse, so I replaced it with a 30 amp (the same size it had). It works like a charm now. However the light strip im puzzled on.

Sometimes when I turn on the headlights the 3 leds will be completely off or they will be flickering, it seems to be random. So I started replacing fuses to see if any those where bad and nothing changed. The only thing I think it could be is either one of the wires is shorting itself out or some mud got in the connectors. But then again it seems to have happened at the same the light bar blew its fuse so i am puzzled. I'm gonna pull the headlight out tomorrow and look at all the wiring and see what I find. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what this could be?

I included a video of the headlight, for obvious reasons and a picture of my fuse box; because I am running 30 amp fuses in "RT head lamp" and "LT Head Lamp" due to the aftermarket headlights.

If you need anymore info feel free to let me know.

Thanks for taking the time to read.
- Nicholas

Attached Thumbnails Weird led light issue-20170830_211722.jpg  
Old 08-31-2017, 03:45 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

How did the LEDs come wired? Two wires as in positive/ground?

On another note is your truck a sport and do this headlight have 2 bulbs per side like the sport?

Old 08-31-2017, 04:57 PM
Lifted1999Ram

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
How did the LEDs come wired? Two wires as in positive/ground?

On another note is your truck a sport and do this headlight have 2 bulbs per side like the sport?
Yes 1 positive, 1 negative. I have them tapped into turn signal and disconnect halfway with but connectors. Also yes I do have two headlights per side.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:59 PM
Lifted1999Ram
Default Update

Just pulled the headlight out. There is a grommet where the positive/negative for the led strip goes in. The grommet was pulled out, so im betting something got in behind the leds.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:10 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Lifted1999Ram
Just pulled the headlight out. There is a grommet where the positive/negative for the led strip goes in. The grommet was pulled out, so im betting something got in behind the leds.
Your problem might last within those butt connectors they are junk (by junk I mean they let water mud etc in). Does the led lightbar share with with them? You might have gotten water in the butt connectors which could have shortened them

Old 08-31-2017, 07:23 PM
Lifted1999Ram

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Your problem might last within those butt connectors they are junk (by junk I mean they let water mud etc in). Does the led lightbar share with with them? You might have gotten water in the butt connectors which could have shortened them
The light bar and headlights do not interact in anyway, besides the battery. The butt connectors looked fine on visual inspection, but then again you never know.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:03 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Look at the video, Only 3 of the leds are flickering. It's not the wiring it's light itself. If it was in the wiring all the leds would go out(no power).

Old 09-02-2017, 03:14 PM
brian102
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

water got in them. dont trust electronic items including led stuff to be waterproof unless its been potted or you personally sealed everything with silicon. it dont take much, fog, high humidity, half the time it's gone when you tear it open to look. unless you have $5k to drop on big name led stuff, just stick with the old school incandescent lights. only have to worry about rust with those lol...