2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck has a couple issues that I need help fixing

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 11:51 PM
Mach97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck has a couple issues that I need help fixing

I'll break this down into a couple parts. I have these problems with my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 w/100,000 miles and am trying to figure out whats wrong.
Just wanting to through all the little issues I've been having out here and hopefully you guys can help and help anyone else looking.

Repairs I have done since I bought the truck
- New spark plugs, air filter
- Removed and cleaned Throttle Body etc
- New Upstream o2 sensor (Will get to that)
- I have a new TPS and MAP sensor on the way (What I have pointed the problems to)

1. When reversing down my driveway and onto the street, when I put the truck in Drive it will pull hard forward and the steering will lock up and stumble. Sometimes it will fix itself and I can drive off fine or it will stall the truck.

2. When scanning on the OBDII, I'm getting a TID $11 CID $01 fail code, I thought it was the upstream o2 sensor like most people have said but it still didn't fix it. Also says catalyst is incomplete?

3. Do I have a bad Plenum gasket? Here's some pictures of when I removed the TB. Doesn't look bad at all.

4. When turning the truck on there is a noticeable sucking in of air (Don't know if this is normal or if I have a leak)

5. Sounds and feels like rocks moving through the breather hose connected to the PCV Valve. (Just noticed it after cleaning TB)

- You can hear a stumble in the idle, also idles at around 800-900rpm (Apparently it has 13% throttle at idle?)

- Terrible gas mileage, less than 10mpg. (I know these dont get that good of gas mileage but damn I can practically see the needle move. (MAP sensor?)

- Bad acceleration/low power

- Going in and out of OD? or Torque converter locking and unlocking while going 40-55 mph (RPM's will drop when i press on the gas and wont increase when speeding up.) (bad TPS?)

If you need any clarification or if I should test something let me know. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Truck has a couple issues that I need help fixing-20170906_095513.jpg   Truck has a couple issues that I need help fixing-20170906_095522.jpg   Truck has a couple issues that I need help fixing-screenshot_20170914-175123.png   Truck has a couple issues that I need help fixing-screenshot_20170914-175137.png   Truck has a couple issues that I need help fixing-screenshot_20170914-175154.png  

Old 09-15-2017, 09:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

What brand O2 sensor?

Plenum looks good, though I would be tempted to do a crankcase vacuum test anyway.

What gears, and what tires on the truck?

Have you tested the cat? (try driving it with the front O2 sensor removed.)

Old 09-15-2017, 11:33 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Shoot, thought I had it figured and then I saw you have a 2wd. So, nevermind.

If your steering seems to "lock up" that means the pump is dying or the engine is cutting out causing loss of pump intermittently. Plenum looks great. Double check your work on the throttle body. If you at all messed with the IAC, its shot. Check out my DIY in that section for reference.

Who knows what incomplete is. I go by the regular codes in my Chilton. Only good sensors are NTK.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:28 PM
Mach97

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What brand O2 sensor?

Plenum looks good, though I would be tempted to do a crankcase vacuum test anyway.

What gears, and what tires on the truck?

Have you tested the cat? (try driving it with the front O2 sensor removed.)
O2 sensor is NTK.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:47 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Repairs I have done since I bought the truck
- New spark plugs, air filter
- Removed and cleaned Throttle Body etc
- New Upstream o2 sensor (Will get to that)
- I have a new TPS and MAP sensor on the way (What I have pointed the problems to)
What about a cap and rotor?

When scanning on the OBDII, I'm getting a TID $11 CID $01 fail code,
Any chance you can get P0###/P####codes? Much easier to decipher.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:26 PM
Mach97

Originally Posted by Moparite
What about a cap and rotor?

Any chance you can get P0###/P####codes? Much easier to decipher.
I've never changed the cap or rotor. And I'm getting no codes, ill double check again. What are some symptoms of my cap or rotor being bad?

Old 09-16-2017, 01:46 PM
Tsteinhauer
Default 96 ram 1500 turn signal and radio turn off and on

Sorry for jumping on this thread but I wasn't able to figure out how to start my own. I am having problems with my radio and turn signals turning off ,sometimes they will turn back on right away and other times they won't turn on at all. The hazards still work. I've tired looking at fuses and changed the relays I was having this problem a couple weeks ago changed a relay and it went away. Now I'm having the same problems. Any ideas?

Old 09-17-2017, 09:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Mach97
I've never changed the cap or rotor. And I'm getting no codes, ill double check again. What are some symptoms of my cap or rotor being bad?
Misfires is the big one. Especially under load. Depending on how bad it is, you may get misfires just sitting there. (no load)

Originally Posted by Tsteinhauer
Sorry for jumping on this thread but I wasn't able to figure out how to start my own. I am having problems with my radio and turn signals turning off ,sometimes they will turn back on right away and other times they won't turn on at all. The hazards still work. I've tired looking at fuses and changed the relays I was having this problem a couple weeks ago changed a relay and it went away. Now I'm having the same problems. Any ideas?
Click the "new thread" button at the top of the forum section you want to post in. It's on the left side.