2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2nd gen ram 1500 help

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 08:36 PM
Forthegrove
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I added some more after running it a little bit and got a nice steady stream to the ok line now. But I would hope the solenoid is good all the solenoids in the tranny are brand new. Also when I got my check engine light again and took it to orielly they said said my truck had mil code 45 which from what I have looked up means a short or open in the transmission overdrive solenoid circuit. idk if this has anything to do with it but like I said I took my truck for a rode today and when I was doing about 65 mph I pushed the od button on and off mulptile times and the light would go on and off but my rpms wouldn't changed very much maybe by only 100 rpms so I was thinking maybe a new switch?

Old 11-25-2017, 10:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Nope, the switch is doing it's job. All it does is send a momentary voltage to the PCM, telling it to change the state of overdrive enable. The light going on and off tells you the PCM, and the switch are working just fine.

Need to check the O/D circuit itself. Figure which wire it is at the PCM, that grounds that circuit, with the engine running, see if you are getting 12 volts AT the PCM. (having someone in the truck standing on the brake may not be a bad idea...... either that, or have the rear wheels off the ground, just in case the gear actually engages, and the truck decides it wants to move.... that'd be bad.....)

Old 11-25-2017, 11:41 PM
Forthegrove
Rookie

With it park and engine on I checked the brown wire on connector b which is overdrive solenoid control and it had 13 volts.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by Forthegrove
With it park and engine on I checked the brown wire on connector b which is overdrive solenoid control and it had 13 volts.
Whelp, that means the wiring is good. Might try running a temporary switch on that wire, just splice into it, run it thru a switch to ground. Take the truck out somewhere you can actually go more than 45 mile per hour, wait until the truck is in third w/lockup, and flip the switch. See what happens. If that works, then the PCM is bad.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:05 PM
Forthegrove
Rookie

Ill take a bad pcm as long as I don't have to pay for another transmission rebuild haha!

Quick Reply: 2nd gen ram 1500 help