2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Removing and replacment of piston from below...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 11:01 PM
gommertech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Removing and replacment of piston from below...

Dodge Ram 1500 - 1998 - 250K miles - cylinders #1 and #2 - crank bearings gone (found in oil pan) rod shoe (if that's what you call them) bolts for cylinder #2 "finger loose" #1 cylinder rod has 1 bolt and shoe still attached but bent about 90 degrees. Found the other bolt (apparently stripped) in oil pan. All other cylinders and crank connections appear fine. I have heard the pistons can be replaced from the underside of the engine - so question #1 is this true or am I living in la-la land ? Question #2 at 250K miles should I just "suck it up" and get a new motor ?
Additional info heater and A/C are shot - this is my farm truck (aka - The Battle Cruiser )
Thanks - Bruce

Old 10-01-2017, 11:39 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

I'd suggest finding a used motor out of a running Dodge truck and swap it into yours, considering its a farm truck. I found one myself off craigslist that was in a Dodge Dakota. I brought it home, cleaned it up, painted the engine, replaced the freeze plugs, water pump, thermostat, took the oil pan off to inspect things, etc. and swapped it into my truck. Is your motor a 5.2 or 5.9?

Old 10-02-2017, 08:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

If you had two rods that spit out their bearings, and a rod cap that was no longer attached, I would bet that the crank journal is pretty trashed as well. Just replacing a couple bearings isn't going to cut it. That would be a waste of time, effort, and money. Just drop a used motor in there as suggested. You will be much further ahead.